Job Title: Laborer
Department: Operations / Industrial Services
Reports To: Production Supervisor
FLSA Classification: Nonexempt
The primary focus for this position is to ensure that Zero Waste Recycling stores, moves and handles hazardous or non-hazardous materials in a safe and compliant manner, all while being as most efficient as possible.
Responsibilities / Duties Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates various hand tools to ensure correct sizing of material for processing.
- Performs a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor.
- Maintains a clean job site: picks up all tools and equipment and secures job site each day to eliminate potential hazards.
- Identifies, transports, packs, removes and disposes of materials.
- Must follow safety procedures and regulations, including wearing special protective gear and disposing of materials as required by law.
- Sorts materials, such as metals, glass, wood, paper or plastics into appropriate containers for recycling.
- Sort metals to separate high-grade metals such as copper, brass and aluminum for recycling.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
Secondary Responsibilities / Duties
- Ability to take necessary steps to ensure a safe work environment for all employees.
- Actively role model all company policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with Operations, Managers, Supervisors and employees.
- Ability to implement and follow through with Standard Operating Procedures for recycling programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Results Driven.
- Teamwork Orientation.
- Diversity and Inclusion.
- Customer/Client Focus.
- Communication Proficiency.
Qualifications / Other Requirements
- Ability to be on call or work off hours as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with attention to detail and organizational abilities.
- Superior analytical/problem solving, written and verbal communications.
Education / Certification
- High school diploma or GED
Physical Demands / Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.