Visitor Service Representative, Alcatraz Cellhouse Tour (Full-time)
The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is the nonprofit partner of the National Park Service overseeing the Golden Gate National Recreation Area — 82,000 acres of national parkland spanning the San Francisco Bay Area, including Muir Woods, Ocean Beach, Crissy Field, and Alcatraz Island. The Parks Conservancy is a membership organization created to preserve the Golden Gate National Parks, enhance the experiences of park visitors, and build a community dedicated to conserving the parks for the future.
With our local and federal partners, the Parks Conservancy is committed to the work of supporting Bay Area national parks as places where we can further racial and social justice for our community and climate resilience for these protected lands.
Located on historic Alcatraz Island, the Alcatraz Cellhouse Tour is an award-winning recorded tour that guides over a million visitors a year through the Alcatraz Cellhouse. The Visitor Service Representatives are responsible for distributing the audio tour and assuring a high-quality experience for the visiting public. In addition to assisting visitors with our downloadable app. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who are available to work 32 hours per week, including weekends, evenings and holidays.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Greeting and orienting visitors to the Alcatraz Cellhouse.
• Distributing tour equipment and assist visitors with downloadable app.
• Providing information about Alcatraz programs and history and/or referral service to visitors.
• Provides customer service to visitors.
• Check audio equipment and batteries.
• Collecting audio equipment and sanitize properly.
• Coordinates duties with staff from other departments and agencies, as assigned.
Reports To: Associate Director, CHT
COVID-19 (specific duties):
• Understand and comply with State and local health regulations and protocols at work.
• Complete mandatory Covid-19 training by designated time. Modules #1 and #2 required for all staff.
• Complete daily self-health checklist prior to reporting to work for scheduled shift. Inform Manager/Supervisor at least 2 hours before start of shift if you’re not feeling well enough to report to work.
• Read, sign, and comply with Conservancy Face Coverings Policy. Must wear face covering at all times on site (except while eating on break).
• Wear disposable gloves when interacting with visitors, doing tasks, or cash handling (optional).
• Maintain social distancing and COVID hygiene protocols at all times.
• Sanitize hands frequently and the POS equipment before and after visitor use.
• Complete cleaning and disinfecting duties assigned by Managers/Supervisors throughout the day.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Previous experience in customer service.
• Multi-lingual communication skills a plus.
• Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays.
• Consistently punctual.
• Completes tasks on time, takes responsibility for own actions and can be relied upon.
• Pitches in and contributes to achieving group goals.
Health and Safety:
It is the policy of the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy to create and maintain a safe and healthful workplace free from recognized hazards that may cause harm to employees, consistent with and in compliance with applicable state and federal laws. Employees will play an active role in creating a safe and healthy workplace and will comply with all applicable health and safety rules. The Conservancy is committed to the goal of implementing an effective health and safety program and an injury prevention program.
Based on the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Parks Conservancy requires all employees, interns, and independent contractors to be vaccinated and to provide proof of such vaccination as a condition of employment or performing contract work.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
• Work is performed in an indoor and outdoor setting on an island that is a National Park Site that is a nature preserve with aging historical buildings.
• Work is primarily performed standing or walking for 6 to 8 hours per day.
• Frequently lifts, carries and positions objects weighing up to 15 pounds.
• Regularly requires a walk up a hill that is equivalent to a 13-story climb.
Pay Rate/Benefits: $20/hour. Benefits include free health plans for employee and family (medical/dental/vision), Employee Assistance Program, employer-matched Commuter Program, vacation/sick/personal days, employee discounts, and more.