At Air Products, our purpose is to bring people together to reimagine what’s possible, collaborate and innovate solutions to the world’s most significant energy and environmental sustainability challenges. Grow with us as we embark on building tomorrow together by being the safest, most diverse, and most profitable industrial gas company in the world.
Reimagine What’s Possible
We are seeking a Business Development Manager within our Hydrogen for Mobility team in California. This position requires 25% travel.
The selected individual will be responsible for developing and winning new business in Air Products’ Hydrogen for Mobility business in the Americas, with a specific focus on opportunities in California and the western US. We currently have multiple world class hydrogen production facilities in the region supplying customers with additional facilities planned in the near future.
This position reports to the Manager, Business Development for the Americas H2fM business and is accountable for the growth of this business in the region. The individual will lead all facets of business development, including the coordination of key stakeholders including engineering, finance, government relations, real estate, and operations.
- Pursue and win new hydrogen supply and fueling station opportunities in North America, with a specific focus on California and the western US.
- Use Air Products’ strengths in hydrogen production, distribution, and fueling to drive growth.
- Lead the process from opportunity identification through proposal development, negotiation, preparation of internal approval documents and contract signature. The individual will remain involved until the new opportunity comes onstream. Once onstream, commercial responsibility is transferred to others for ongoing account and asset management.
- In partnership with Air Products cross-functional colleagues, support build-out of Air Products’ hydrogen fueling network in CA from land identification and screening through engineering review to final investment decision and hydrogen refueling station on-stream.
- Develop opportunities with both new and existing customers, although the majority of opportunities are expected to be at new customers.
- Develop an understanding of current and future regulations driving the adoption of zero-emission vehicles (ZEV).
- Develop an understanding of the technical aspects of hydrogen production, distribution and fueling in order to communicate the advantages of hydrogen and fuel cells vs. alternative technologies.
- Develop an understanding of government funding and procurement as it pertains to supporting the development of hydrogen fueling projects in the target geography and other areas of focus. Support grant application initiatives
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business or a related field.
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in the Industrial Gases Business or related sector.
- Self-starter with strong verbal and written communication skills critical. Ability to persuasively present the benefits of Air Products technology and business models is essential to success in this position.
- Have a strong interest in a business role and the desire to develop and/or demonstrate commercial skills, including customer relationship management, team consensus building, contract negotiations and the ability to close deals.
- Experience supplying truck fleet operators, port operations, or vehicle OEMs a plus.
- Experience in hydrogen fueling and the industrial gas business is a plus.
- Experience developing a retail fueling network is a plus.
- Strong financial skills critical for proposal development.
- Expected travel may be up to 25%.
The expected pay range for this job varies based on location. In California, the expected pay range is $136,600-$200,650 plus bonus. This is the range we reasonably expect to pay for this position as individual compensation decisions are based on a variety of factors.
We are the world’s largest hydrogen producer with over 80 years of industrial gas experience. We are hydrogen experts delivering safe, end-to-end solutions, investing in real, clean energy projects at scale, and driving the industry forward to generate a cleaner future.
At Air Products, we work in an environment where we put safety first, diversity is essential, inclusion is our culture, and each person knows they belong and matter. To learn more, visit About Air Products.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays and vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, retirement plans/401(k), and sick time. You will be eligible for benefits and also be 100% vested in your retirement benefits on your first day of employment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.). You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
Air Products is committed to working with and providing a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. General application status inquiries are not answered by this mailbox rather you’ll receive an e-mail directly from our Career Center and/or the Talent Acquisition Specialist.