Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 2,000 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT is currently ranked #59 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
Position summary: JMT of New York, Inc. is seeking an Environmental Engineer who will be responsible for engineering design using knowledge of general engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, and execute assignments, as well as supporting and contributing to various environmental designs, site assessments, remediation, construction oversight, project coordination, stormwater, and permit tasks provided by Senior Engineers, Geologists, and Environmental Scientists. Primary activities will be design tasks and report preparation. Other tasks may include collecting field data; analyzing data; and creating map products. Some field work will be conducted at Brownfield Cleanup Program sites. OSHA Health and Safety Training, including respirator fit testing, will be provided. Mine Site Safety Training may also be provided.
Compensation is $43.00 to $49.00/hour, commensurate with experience, education, and certifications.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Travel to project sites and collect field data (occasional overnight stays may be required).
- Conduct field surveys (including GPS, ground penetrating radar) and site assessment efforts in support of environmental projects.
- Document methodologies and findings of field investigations, including professional field notes and logs.
- Analyze and manage data received from field investigations; evaluate site conditions and impacts relative to appropriate standards or guidance.
- Provide support for environmental studies, Phase I/Phase II Environmental Site Assessments, Remedial Work Plans/Implementation and mine site evaluations.
- Under the guidance of senior manager, develop and implement plans for remediation and cleanup of contaminated sites, including recommending the application of appropriate technologies and techniques.
- Prepare field data and impact assessments calculations, and drawings.
- Contribute to environmental technical reports, impact assessments, environmental inspection reports, and similar reports.
- Develop construction cost estimates.
- Assist in the preparation of engineering documents.
- Coordinate with team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and quality objectives.
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental engineering or a related field from ABET accredited engineering program
- 5-10 years post-degree experience
- NYS Professional Engineer License
- Written and Oral Communication Skills
- Proficient in Discipline Specific Design Software (e.g., AutoCAD, Civ3D, Hydrocad)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER Certificate
- NYSDEC Erosion and Sediment Control Certificate
Work is performed within a general office environment approximately 75% of the time. Office work is generally sedentary in nature. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion; work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Field work will require walking and carrying field equipment over typical outdoor terrain. Some lifting (up to 25lbs) may be required as needed.
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.