EH&S Coordinator is responsible for developing business unit (BU) strategies and overseeing the implementation of the EH&S processes in support of management to achieve EH&S Goals and Objectives for the Rail business unit.
Develop and lead the execution of the EH&S strategy
• Lead and professionally develop EH&S teams
• Conduct training in EH&S management and processes
• Articulate corporate EH&S strategy & expectation and guide and own strategic execution
• Conduct EH&S assessments
• Provide oversight in incident investigations
• Ensure the accurate reporting and follow up of incidents
• Support leadership teams in managing EH&S issues
• Member of Harsco’s EH&S leadership and Safety Committee
• Provide regulatory expertise and support to the BU for EH&S
Key Results Areas:
• Lead the development and delivery of an effective EH&S program at the sites; promoting Corporate, BU and site specific EH&S standards and work practices.
• Coach and support operational leaders and others to communicate the Corporations/BU/Sites EH&S policies, standards/philosophies, strategy and requirements to the workforce.
• Ensure that EH&S training is being delivered to a high standard and at the right time.
• Leads in the development of process with programs and procedures to meet business requirements without compromising EH&S
• Work with leadership teams through audits, people evaluations, best practice sharing, etc.
• Ensure that all incidents are reported, and effectively investigated by operational management by providing technical support and advice and taking the lead as necessary in the most serious cases.
• Provide reports on both BU’s SHE performance at the BU and Corporate EH&S leadership team meetings.
· Bachelor’s degree in either Health/Safety sciences/engineering, Environmental sciences/engineering or other nationally recognized base level qualification in EH&S with 3 years EH&S leadership experience.
• Master’s degree either Health/Safety sciences/engineering, Environmental sciences/engineering or other nationally recognized qualification of the same level in H&S
• 10+ years H&S experience in construction, steel, metals reclamation, and / or manufacturing industries.
• Experience in conducting H&S audits
• Recognized certification such as CSP, Ch.IOSH, etc.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical data
• Ability to write in a clear and concise manner
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions
• Strategic agility
Specific Working Relationships:
• BU, Regional, Country and Site Managers in their assigned regions and sites.
• Workforce, workforce representatives including union representatives as applicable.
• National regulators and act as the single point of contact in this regard
• Client personnel as needed and potentially at all levels
• Site medical/nursing personnel
• Contractor management, personnel and EH&S representatives
• Other internal EH&S professionals within the 2 BU’s or within Harsco
• Harsco Corporate VP, Global EH&S
• Computer skills to include email and Microsoft Office Suite
• Mathematical skills to include the ability to analyze EH&S performance metrics for trends
• Thorough understanding of technical processes/issues associated with Divisional site risks
• Ability to effectively and objectively lead in the investigation of a wide variety of incidents and analyze for root causes
• Sound understanding of risk assessment methodologies applicable to H&S
• Ability to effectively plan and organize
• High Standard of Personal integrity
• Ability to earn and keep trust of both management and workers
• Skilled at influencing worker behavior
• The ability to deal politely and professionally with customers and/or coworkers
• Attention to detail
• Team player
• The ability to predictably and regularly attend work and to be punctual
• The ability to read and understand documents and drawings
• The ability to perform several tasks at once
• The ability to follow direction or instruction
• The ability to use a computer to communicate, create, and access information