Are you ready to be a part of something exceptional? Invercargill City Council invites you to become a driving force in our future-focused team. With a vibrant atmosphere and an unwavering commitment to our values—positivity, respect, responsibility, and above and beyond—we're passionate about creating a team full of outstanding individuals who are as passionate about shaping the future as we are.
Our friendly Environmental Services team are seeking an Environmental Health Officer.
Key responsibilities for this role include:
- Deliver education, monitoring, inspections, and audits in compliance with various Acts and regulations, including Food Act 2014, Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, and others.
- Schedule and conduct regular inspections and audits, ensuring accurate processing of applications and reports within statutory guidelines.
- Investigate and respond promptly to complaints, taking enforcement actions when necessary, such as issuing notices or legal actions.
- Stay updated on legislation, seeking clarification when needed, and actively contribute to continuous improvement of processes.
- Collaborate with team members, provide enforcement, monitoring, and advice on Environmental Health matters, and contribute to the development of policies and educational programs.
What you will bring:
- Bachelor of Applied/Health Science (Environmental Health) or Graduate Diploma in Environmental Health and/or MPI Recognised Food Verifier.
- Eligibility for registration as an Environmental Health Officer by the New Zealand Institute of Environmental Health
- Knowledge of health related legislations and relevant regulations
- Well-developed computer knowledge, particularly in the use of Microsoft Office Word, Excel and other web based databases/ software applications
- Current full New Zealand driver's licence
What we offer:
- Flexible working environment
- Career progression and training/development opportunities
- Positive focus of employee health and well-being: Workstation assessments, free flu vaccines, EAP services, 50% off eye exams, discounted gym memberships etc
- Kiwisaver and Superannuation Schemes
- Access to sick leave from day one of employment
- Appointment time leave: Up to 2 hours for important appointments eg. Doctor, bank, dentist
Waihōpai Invercargill is New Zealand's southernmost city and the heart and hub of Southland. We're known for our lush green spaces, like award-winning Queens Park, our long summer daylight hours and our local legend Burt Munro. Our city has character, charm and a laidback atmosphere. There's outstanding nature reserves, Ōreti Beach & the Waihōpai River to explore plus our lively restaurants complimented by a thriving entertainment and arts scene are hard to beat! The sensible gridded layout featuring wide streets ensures a convenient 10-minute drive to work. Who wouldn't want to call this place home!
For more information please see the full position description or contact the Invercargill City Council on (03) 211 1777. Apply online at www.icc.govt.nz
Applications close 18 February 2024. Please note applications will be processed as they are received and we encourage you to apply early as this advert may be removed at any time.
Successful applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in New Zealand. While all applications will be reviewed, first priority will be given to those applicants who are currently residing in New Zealand.