About the Role
Plus Power recruits outstanding energy industry professionals who are driven to develop, build and operate assets safely and reliably to decarbonize the power markets while growing their careers. Our team looks for data-driven and fact-based mindsets, engaging and collaborative behaviors, and personal growth-focused professionals.
In order for the global energy system to make the transition from a carbon-based grid, to a renewable energy grid, large scale energy storage must be introduced into the electricity system to balance intra-hour supply and demand. Energy storage is the enabler of high penetration variable renewable generation like solar and wind.
Plus Power is looking to hire an experienced Environmental Permitting Associate within the Development Services Team to manage permitting and environmental permitting activities for multiple battery energy storage projects across our portfolio. The Environmental Permitting Associate will report to the Permitting Manager and lead all aspects of project permitting from inception to commercial operation.
- Develop and execute permitting strategies specific to the project in collaboration with the Director of Permitting, Permitting Manager, and Development Team.
- Manage environmental and land-use permitting processes specific to multiple ongoing projects across multiple states, from conception through development, including:
- Research Federal, State and Local permitting and environmental regulations and draft detailed zoning analyses/permitting plan for prospective sites;
- Work with technical staff and project developers to ensure project designs are consistent with permitting requirements and constraints;
- Work with consultants, contractors, and developers to develop creative solutions to complicated environmental permitting issues
- Manage permitting consultants, budgets, and schedules for multiple projects simultaneously;
- Develop and maintain relationships with federal and state regulatory agencies;
- Prepare and submit permit applications to governmental agencies; represent Plus Power’s position in public forums and meetings; coordinate with external subject matter experts, prepare hearing testimony outlines;
- Review/revise environmental reports (i.e., wetlands delineations, Phase I ESAs, Phase I cultural resource surveys, T&E Species Reports);
- Review/revise public hearing submission items (i.e., noise studies, notice documents, visual renderings, etc.);
- Negotiate with regulatory agencies to achieve acceptable operating permit conditions consistent with project schedules, costs, and environmental sustainability objectives;
- Support project planning and scheduling in support of project development team;
- Analyze or assess regulatory policy implications to siting and permitting;
- Manage responses to permitting agency information and/or data requests; and
- Represent our projects at stakeholder meetings and hearings.
- 2-5+ years of experience obtaining required permitting/siting/zoning/land use/environmental approvals for large scale/complex real estate development;
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or environmental/urban planning related discipline preferred;
- Experience obtaining permits for utility companies, renewable energy companies, telecommunications companies or industrial/commercial land uses preferred;
- Understanding of federal, state, and local permitting and environmental regulatory statutes and frameworks;
- Ability to multitask and work well under pressure to meet deadlines across multiple projects simultaneously is a must;
- Ability to develop feasible solutions to complex permitting challenges
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment in both team and individual settings;
- Must be flexible and detail-oriented with excellent problem-solving skills; and
- Travel required as necessary to support siting and permitting plans, activities, stakeholder meetings and other related tasks.
Compensation, Location, and Benefits
Highly-competitive remuneration from one of the nation’s most exciting leaders in the energy storage markets. Flexible, work from home locations acceptable for the long-term, or hybrid work from Plus Power’s offices in San Francisco or Houston.
The expected salary range* for this position begins at $TBD. Factors that may be used to determine the final compensation include relevant experience, skills, qualifications, geographic labor market, and other factors consistent with applicable law. This position is also eligible to participate in our annual discretionary bonus program.
Plus Power offers a comprehensive benefits program, unlimited vacation, flexible remote work, and a highly engaging company culture with opportunities for growth.