More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
Please attach your current unofficial transcript in order to be considered for this position.
Joining our team as a Project Development Intern is an exciting, dynamic, and diverse opportunity that has direct impact on our business. As an Intern you will learn to use numerous analytic tools and mapping software platforms to identify and analyze potential sites on which to construct new renewable energy generation and storage projects. You will investigate local political positions, state and local regulatory requirements, real estate records and land rights acquisition opportunities. You will learn how to evaluate site constraints, like wetland impacts, endangered species presence, flood risk, topography and geotechnical impacts.
You will have the opportunity to work on-site directly with our development team in a hybrid work environment to quickly get up to speed and have an impact right away. You will have the opportunity to present your prospects for development to the entire development team and assist developers and analysts in the early-stage development activities.
We expect you to learn and grow and find new ways to impact our organization. We ask our interns to research a specific area of opportunity for strategic project development and make recommendations to the team for implementation.
You will find our development team to be a hard-working but very supportive environment, where you can learn from over 100 years of energy and development experience across multiple technologies and disciplines. You will be exposed to project financings, tax strategy, modeling cashflows and returns on investments.
The Duke Energy Sustainable Solutions business unit is currently working its way through a disposition by Duke Energy Corporation. That means that the team you will be joining will no longer be a part of Duke Energy sometime after September 30th. We will be operating under a new name and branding, as an independent company whose equity is owned by Brookfield Renewables.
The chosen intern for this position will assist Development Managers with specific wind, solar, and storage development tasks, which may include:
- Project marketing support
- Incentive identification / negotiation
- Permitting plans
- Interconnection study support
- Land acquisition
- Scoping and initial prospect identification
Wind, Solar & Storage project modeling. Candidate may assist in running detailed models to understand site performance, which may include:
- Site financial models
- Battery storage dispatch models
Support identification of strategic priorities for future development. This may include:
- Research into policy environment at state & national level
- Research into regulatory environment and impacts on renewables
- Analysis of potential customers for renewable energy in different regions
Complete projects / contribute to special initiatives to improve development process
- Currently enrolled and pursuing a four-year degree in Economics, Environmental Science, Geography, Engineering, Business, Biology, or a related major
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.75
- Valid driver’s license
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Strong quantitative analytical skills
- Passion for Renewable Energy / Sustainability
- Willingness to learn
- Knowledge of electric transmission system
- GIS & mapping experience
- Skilled with Microsoft Office suite, including complex excel models
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited direction
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize effectively
- Hybrid – Work will be performed from both remote and onsite locations after the onboarding period. However, hybrid employees should live within a reasonable commute to a Duke Energy facility.
5-15%Relocation Assistance Provided (as applicable)
NoVisa Sponsored Position
NoPosting Expiration Date
Saturday, September 30, 2023
All job postings expire at 12:01 AM on the posting expiration date.