Sponsorship: GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
Positions are available under the following work arrangements:
Hybrid : Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time but the general expectation is that the employee be onsite an average of three (3) days each week.
Remote : The position can be performed remotely most of the time, but the employee may be asked to come on-site approximately four times per year.
At General Motors we pride ourselves on designing, building, and selling the world's best vehicles. As we step into the future with our new business venture, GM Energy, we are seeking the next generation of innovators, doers, and true believers to help launch bold business initiatives and shape new directions for General Motors. As an intern you’ll be working with Senior Leadership in a fast-paced team and gain hands-on experiences to grow your career to maximize your real-world potential!
Depending on interest & availability, GM Energy interns can focus on key areas of the business including:
- Digital Experience
- Advanced Planning
- Battery Lifecycle Management
- Residential Charging Product Development & Sales (Ultium Home)
- Advanced Technology
- Charging Network Development & Experience (Ultium Charge 360)
- Commercial Hardware, Software & Services (Ultium Commercial)
The GM Energy Intern will be responsible for helping to drive innovation cross-functionally across the organization, centered around bringing GM customers a full energy solution. Depending on placement, responsibilities and activities can include definition of Vehicle to Everything (V2X) programs, including charging hardware development, services around battery technology and its applications, services around customer charging experience, exploring charging network development partnerships, and other related electrification technology.
Responsibilities may include:
- Support the business teams responsible for developing and deploying innovative hardware, software, and service solutions required for leading the EV and distributed energy revolution
- Learn battery technology, energy concepts, power systems and their associated markets and business models to make technical and business recommendations to leadership
- Study and understand stationary energy storage and electric vehicle charging station standards, policies, and procedures and their implications on product requirements
- Support capital deployment and innovative finance models for different parts of the electrification ecosystem
- Support market and pricing assessments, customer segmentation studies and customer research for go-to-market and product requirements gathering
- Support the improvement of customer analytics to better monitor and manage customer health
- Support business development activities of EV charging network development (e.g., public, workplace, home) and charging experience integration
- Assist with the development of value engineering models that can be used to help customers understand the TCO and ROI of adopting GM Energy Products
- Learn and understand certifications and compliance standards that relate to stationary energy storage systems and electric vehicle charging stations and translate them into useful product development activities
- Work in a complex and evolving environment demonstrating an innovative attitude
- Current Undergraduate student OR Current MBA student
- Must be graduating between May 2025 - June 2026
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week
- Energy, hydrogen, charging infrastructure, sustainability, and/or utility experience highly recommended for MBA student applicants
What will give you a Competitive Edge (Preferred qualifications):
- Strong project and budget management skills with proven track record of efficiently completing work
- Strong computer software skills, especially Microsoft Office, including MS Project
- Creative and innovative mindset with a steadfast focus on continuous improvement
- Demonstrated high level of interpersonal skills required to effectively collaborate, motivate, and facilitate others in group situations
- Willing to participate in weekly conference calls outside of typical business hours to support discussions with international stakeholder(s)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for interacting directly with customers
Student Stipend: GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to eligible students selected for the 2024 Student Program.
The salary range for this role is $3500-$6700 monthly, dependent upon class status and degree.
Benefit options are not available for this role
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.