The Global Propulsion Systems - Manufacturing Engineering team is driving the future of electric vehicle technology forward by developing world class manufacturing processes for our battery cells. We are looking to expand and enhance our team by adding a hands-on, experienced Coating Engineer to lead the process development of electrode mixing and coatings projects for our battery programs. This position will directly impact the pursuit of making our manufacturing processes a competitive advantage.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide process engineering support in slurry mixing and roll-to-roll slot die coating of battery electrodes
- Provide battery plant start up assistance by utilizing cross functional experience to drive process quality improvement and process efficiency improvement
- Establish process baseline manufacturing parameters to allow integration of advanced materials into battery cell designs
- Provide technical guidance and hands-on support for all aspects of a coating operation including mixing, slurry delivery systems, conveyance, web treatment, coating, and drying
- Collect and analyze process and product data to drive decision making
- Develop and implement strategies for scale up of battery electrodes processes
- Understand the effects of mixing and coating process changes upon product quality attributes and performance
- Assist in the specification, procurement and qualification of slurry and coating equipment
- Work with Product Engineering to ensure manufacturing and design requirements are compatible
Additional Job Description
- 5+ years of experience in wet coating processes such as slot die, rod, gravure, and multilayer coating technologies as well as the corresponding slurry making and mixing processes
- Experience in the procurement of mixing, coating or processing equipment
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of slurry formulation, mixing processes
- Professional process/manufacturing engineering industry experience
- Degree in chemical engineering, materials engineering, mechanical engineering (with strong materials background) or equivalent experience
- Hands-on experience with lithium-ion battery cell coatings
- Statistical problem solving i.e., DFSS Black Belt or Red-X
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
GMis an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. GM is committed to providing a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and advancing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, all practices and decisions relating to terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment are made without regard to an individual's protected characteristics. For purposes of this policy, “protected characteristics" include an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, weight, height, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com