Department: School of Architecture & Environment - College of Design
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Compensation Band: OS-OA07-Fiscal Year 2023-2024
Application Review Begins
September 12, 2023; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
• A resume outlining your educational and professional work experience.
• Three professional references.
The School of Architecture & Environment is one of the main academic units within the College of Design. The School of Architecture & Environment has an operating budget of $9 Million annually and is the academic home for 46 tenure-track faculty members, as well as many non-tenure-track faculty and adjunct-level instructors.
The Business Operations Manager is the primary administrative officer within the School of Architecture & Environment (SAE) and will oversee, with broad responsibility and independent decision-making authority, all financial/operational/staff functions for the SAE. This includes fiscal and operational oversight of budgeting and expenditure tracking and reporting; development of financial forecasting and projections; hiring and other non-academic personnel actions; supervision of office staff (including 1 Officer of Administration and 3 classified staff); student services-related functions, including graduate recruiting; and managing and utilizing available resources to fulfill the mission of the School and College. The Business Manager is responsible for the dissemination of policy and goals within the unit as well as operationalizing these goals. The Business Operations Manager advises unit leadership on all aspects of financial and administrative policies and regulations and the day-to-day functioning of the SAE.
The Business Operations Manager will work closely with the Director of the School of Architecture and Environment (SAE) and report to the Assistant Dean for Finance and Operations at the College of Design to conduct the unit’s business in accordance with the guidelines established by the University. They will help support the central data and human resources detail needed to streamline information for the Office of the Dean.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Three years of supervisory experience of two or more employees, or an equivalent combination of lead work experience and/or supervision training.
• Experience in accounting, budget management, compiling and reporting financial information, and the ability to analyze and track budgets.
• Ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary team environment and with a variety of stakeholders, including faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Ability to meet deadlines, proactively anticipate needs, manage and prioritize multiple tasks or projects, and work independently without supervision, while handling frequent interruptions and shifting priorities to ensure the success of projects and regular workflow.
• Excellent problem-solving ability, including attention to detail and consistent follow-through.
• Ability to manage conflict with tact and diplomacy and to use sound judgment and initiative, particularly as it relates to handling sensitive and/or confidential information, and escalate appropriately if needed for further resolution.
• Ability to improve administrative processes and delegate responsibilities to form a cross-trained team environment and use resources effectively.
• Strong interpersonal and written communication skills.
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, including the ability to analyze, summarize and effectively present and distribute data and reports to the Assistant Dean and Director of SAE.
• Ability to analyze and develop fiscal recommendations.
• Proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook (or similar scheduling/calendar program), and familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
• Commitment to and experience with promoting and enhancing diversity and equity.
• Advanced knowledge of accounting concepts
• Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting.
• Experience in purchasing, contracting, and financial analysis.
• Advanced experience with coordination of budgets to support teaching plans and ensure fiscal responsibility.
• Knowledge of and experience with UO software platforms, including Banner, Cognos, and MyTrack.
• Experience in an institution of higher education and understanding of related organizational structures, policies, and procedures; or equivalent experience in a similarly complex organization.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at email@example.com or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://clery.uoregon.edu/annual-campus-security-and-fire-safety-report.