GrowNYC is a 53-year-old environmental nonprofit organization helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life. GrowNYC Programs include:
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites, and the work of GrowNYC Wholesale ensure that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like food scrap and clothing collections to make waste reduction, recycling, and composting easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires are encouraged to take the COVID vaccine (as defined by the CDC) and we ask to submit proof to our HR department within 30 days of hire. Employees may be required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.
About GrowNYC Compost Program
Established in 2011, the GrowNYC Compost Program strives to make composting second nature for all New Yorkers by operating residential Food Scrap Drop-Off sites (FSDOs) and partnering with compost processing facilities to divert food scraps from landfills and make compost locally.
Compost Driver (Part-Time)
Compost Drivers are responsible for the hauling and delivery of food scraps and supplies between food scrap drop-off sites and local compost processing facilities. Qualified candidates combine a passion for waste reduction and landfill diversion with the practical skills needed to transport food scraps through NYC.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Deliver supplies to food scrap drop-off sites early morning & pick up according to schedule
- Deliver full food scrap bins to processing facilities in NYC and load truck for next shift
- Record number and weight of full food scrap collection bins picked up from each FSDO
- Submit recorded data via online forms within 48 hours of each shift
- Clean, organize, and assist with restocking supplies in vehicle/s as necessary
- Park vehicle/s in secured parking facility or in accordance with local parking laws
- Work with partners, participants, and stakeholders (e.g. GrowNYC Compost staff, Greenmarket staff, Parks personnel, NYPD, volunteers, farmers, community organizations, local merchants, construction personnel, etc.)
- Assist with training new Compost Drivers as needed
- Attend regular driver safety meetings and training sessions
- Attend regular Compost staff meetings (every 2 months)
- Follow organizational and program-specific safety guidelines and standard operating procedures
- Follow and enforce current City, State, Federal, and GrowNYC-mandated safety measures
- Keep up-to-date with Compost program and GrowNYC-wide communications
- Represent GrowNYC
- Valid NYS Driver’s License for at least 1 year with satisfactory driving record and ability (or willingness to learn how) to operate box trucks ranging from 14-24 feet
- Work outdoors, year-round, sometimes in extreme temperatures, and in a potentially noisy environment
- Ability to lift heavy bins and supplies, up to 60 pounds
- Ability to maneuver large (64-gallon) rolling Toter carts weighing up to 350 lbs
- Stand and sit for lengthy periods of time (between 3-6 hours/day)
- Early-riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Experience driving in NYC and knowledge of New York City streets and highways
- Experience driving and/or willingness to learn how to drive larger vehicles ranging from 14-24 feet on city streets
- Willingness to travel throughout the five boroughs of New York City
- Passionate about composting, recycling, and waste reduction
- Takes initiative and excels at both independent and partnered work
- Creative problem-solver, able to troubleshoot and make quick, often on-the spot decisions
- Strong organization, time management, and communication skills
- Experience interacting with the public and handling opposing viewpoints with a calm demeanor
- Comfortable communicating and working with people from diverse backgrounds in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, including trans* and nonbinary, sexual orientation, class, and religion
- Familiarity with Google Forms
- Familiarity with and dedication to working in diverse NYC neighborhoods
- Interest in food waste and/or related issues – food systems, waste reduction, urban planning, pollution, environmental justice, environmental stewardship, gardening, farming, etc.
Saturday availability required. Shifts available every day except Tuesday, with regular early morning start. Weekly schedules ranging from minimum 5 hours/week up to 25 hours/week.
This position is a non-exempt and variable hourly. It pays $26 per hour and includes only statutory benefits. This position is union eligible.
Field work required throughout NYC
Apply for the Compost Driver part-time position with a resume here. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis. For additional information, please see our website: grownyc.org
P.O. Box 2327
New York, NY 10272
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, or ability.