Overview & Responsibilities
Develop and prepare technical solutions and quotation proposals for new equipment to meet or exceed customer requirements especially in the sustainability markets like Hydrogen, CO2 (CCS/CCUS), Ammonia, Energy storage etc.
Provide technical and commercial support to promote the business including strategic initiatives.
Interface with engineering, operational groups and customers in the development/clarification of proposal information. Assist in creating promotional material.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Respond to customer inquiries for new equipment. This involves the following key steps:
- Review inquiry to understand goals of projects.
- Work with sales to develop strategy by understanding market trends, customer needs, budget, & competition.
- Design machines and auxiliaries including performance and mechanical design analysis for entire scope of equipment.
- Define scope of supply.
- Conduct cost analysis including hardware, labor, engineering, drafting, vendor supplied components and all other costs related to the project.
- Prepare specifications for major purchased auxiliaries and act as technical resource for subsequent vendor inquiries.
- Create proposal including data sheets, scope, performance curves, pricing, delivery, comments/ exceptions to specifications and all other pertinent data.
- Submit proposal to sales and aid sales in presenting proposal to customer if necessary.
- Technical/commercial support during quote phase:
- Answer technical/commercial questions from sales and customers concerning proposal.
- Modify proposal as required from sales or customer concerning proposal.
- Work with sales/management to adjust scope/delivery/price as needed to be competitive.
- Participate in pre-contract meetings with sales/customer if required.
- Transfer data to project management after order received:
- Prepare design specifications.
- Attend kick-off and transfer meetings.
- Assemble all pertinent information including inquiry specs, scope, costs, schedule, etc. to define project for project manager.
- Enter order into Elliott system by completing Shop Order Assignment Sheet and 331 Form.
- Act as technical/commercial resource for project manager throughout project.
- Develop/improve procedures for:
- Automating standard, repeatable procedures and calculations.
- Cooperation with other related groups (i.e.: new equipment and rerate group).
- Keeping current with technology through magazines, trade shows, articles, on and off-site training, etc.
- Studying customers and competition to identify market trends, new application of technology, innovations, etc.
- Implement business/marketing plans and strategic initiatives:
- Utilize technical and commercial skills and contacts to conduct market analyses.
- Write reports to assist sales and marketing in selling new technology and developing new markets.
Following is a list of the primary skills/requirements of this position:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent.
- Good understanding of sustainability and emerging markets like Hydrogen, CCS/CCUS, Ammonia, Energy storage.
- Extensive understanding of thermodynamic and aerodynamic concepts as related to the performance of turbomachinery including heat transfer, gas properties, efficiency, head, work, etc.
- Application and design knowledge of both steam turbines and compressors as well as their related auxiliaries (i.e. motors, gears, lube systems, etc.)
- Ability to understand and balance the inter-relationship between price, performance, delivery, and reliability when selecting/designing a unit.
- Good verbal and non-verbal communication skills for preparing proposals, conducting meetings, answering sales/customer questions and writing technical papers/articles/procedures.
- Ability to understand and balance internal cost structure, market value, and margin goals when pricing a project.
- Design/analytical skills in the application/design of bearings, seals, materials, thermal and dynamic stress and strain, rotor dynamics, etc.
- Strong attention to detail in preparation of all documentation.
- Computer skills including Sun and IBM networks, application programs, Word, Excel, Lotus Notes, etc.
- Travel is required to support sales in presenting proposals to customers and answering technical questions, participating in pre-contract meetings. Travel may also be required to attend trade shows, present papers, participate in discussion groups or work in the Elliott booth.
- Occasional travel required for training purposes. Average 4- 6 trips per year, 2-3 days each.
To learn more about our Job Applicant Privacy Notice, please click here.