Solar/BESS Technician - Utility Site
Spark Power is a leading independent power solutions provider to the electrical service industry across North America. We deliver technical solutions that help our customers transition to the grid of the future – Renewable Energy.
The Solar/BESS Technician will travel to job sites around the United States maintaining and service utility-scale solar and battery storage facilities. The technician must be competent and qualified to work on electrical and/or mechanical components of Renewable Energy assets.
We are excited to provide careers in Renewables and are committed to being the best employer possible. Our product is our people!
What you’ll be doing as a Solar/BESS Technician:
- Follow all Health and Safety policies to maintain a zero-incident workplace
- Complete routine safety documentation before every job including pre-job safety meetings, electrical work permits, etc.
- Technical troubleshooting & preventative maintenance activities to maximize performance/production
- Energization/de-energization procedures
- Follow & implement LOTO plans & procedures
- Interpret schematics and blueprints
- Quality assurance checklists and inspections to document deficiencies and identify corrective actions needed
- Follow OEM specific maintenance requirements in addition to company standards and industry best practices i.e. NETA MTS, CSA Z463, NFPA 70E, etc.
- Daily digital reporting and documentation of all work performed
- Work in a team-based environment and independently whereas necessary
- Participation in on-call weekend services on a rotating schedule
- Identify and provide feedback to issues and ongoing development of projects
- Willing to work overtime as needed
- Keep the sites looking clean and safe– buildings, vegetation, fences, gates, roads, etc.
- Ensure spare parts inventory is organized and clean
- Using monitoring software in real time to ensure each device on site is performing optimally.
- Communicate with the Spark Power Renewable Operations Center (ROC) in regard to site outage and performance analytics.
- Work closely with the site manager/lead to execute preventative maintenance tasks.
- Be available for weekend on-call work.
Do you have the Spark? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic and a willingness to learn
- Digital literacy (proficiency with mobile apps and various software: Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Report writing)
- Electrical & mechanical aptitude and experience
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work with a team mentality and liaise with customers to ensure quality of service
- Valid Driver's License
- Work in adverse weather conditions and extreme temperatures
- Firm commitment to safety
- Be a believer in renewable energy
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Post-secondary education with an electrical or mechanical base is an asset
- ABET/EAC certification will be considered an asset
- State certified Journeyman license an asset
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC) an asset
- Valid Driver’s License with clean driving record
- Must be able to lift 75lb
- Ability to work at heights with good ergonomics, work may take place on ladders, platforms, and cramped spaces with constant standing and kneeling.
- Able to determine color codes
Here are some of the perks Spark Power employees enjoy:
- Competitive hourly wages
- 40-Hour weekly minimum while on jobs (guaranteed hours!)
- 1.5X overtime after 40 Hours / week
- Fast-track growth opportunities
- A hands-on, positive Management Team that began as Technicians and have been promoted within their roles
- Positive and fun company culture. No one is 'just a number' at Spark.
- Benefits (health, vision, dental)
- 401K contribution, up to 3% match
- Monthly cell phone allowance
- All travel, training, workwear & PPE paid for
Who is Spark Power?
• We provide end-to-end electrical contracting, operations and maintenance services, and energy sustainability solutions to the industrial, commercial, utility, and renewable asset markets.
• We have over 1400 employees across 38 offices across North America.
• We have numerous exciting projects in commercial, industrial, and institutional sectors across Canada and the US.
We are an equal-opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.