About the Company
We are a stealth renewable energy and ocean technology startup committed to rapidly developing and deploying technologies that will ensure a sustainable future for the Earth by unlocking the vast energy potential of its oceans.
About the Job
We are developing a technology ecosystem that will provide civilizational levels of affordable renewable energy. Our finance team will be a critical driver of our ability to deploy these technologies at scale.
As Vice President, Finance you will be responsible for building scalable, technologically-savvy finance systems for a company that is growing from dozens to hundreds. You will lead our operational finance function, from financial planning and analysis to procure-to-pay to accounting. This will include developing accounting systems that enable access to renewable energy tax incentives.
You are our ideal candidate if you:
- have a track record of implementing finance systems to support a growing company’s operations, especially in a manufacturing, logistics, deep tech, renewable energy, or other "physical" sector company.
- have the ability to develop easy-to-use, scalable processes enabled by the right software tools and understand what is happening "under the hood" in the software you use.
- are deeply quantitative, a strong financial modeler, and can connect high-level strategy to detailed forecasts.
- have knowledge in technical areas of accounting and tax, such as accounting standards, cost segregation, and cost allocation, and can think critically about their application in novel situations.
- are equally able to do the work yourself, grow, and build and lead teams as the company scales.
- will thrive in a creative, scrappy, and collaborative environment in which the best ideas change the company’s direction on a regular basis.
We strive to be the best team on the planet, and we compensate our team members accordingly.
- Implement scalable financial systems (people, process, and technology) for a company that is in the process of growing from dozens to hundreds
- Ensure that procure-to-pay processes are highly efficient and responsive
- Develop and implement accounting strategy and systems to enable access to tax incentives
- Create high-fidelity annual budgets and longer-range estimates
- Generate robust and flexible financial analysis to inform business decisions
- Produce world-class financial reporting for the company’s leaders, investors, and directors
- Mitigate risks that could threaten the company's financial position or ability to operate
- Deliver on all other core operational finance responsibilities, including accounting, tax filing, treasury management, and cap table management
- You have 8+ years experience owning relevant operational finance functions, or 6+ years with evidence of unusually rapid growth in responsibilities.
- You possess many of the attributes of our ideal candidate.
- You are willing and able to work out of our Portland, OR headquarters.
- You can intermittently work longer hours and weekends to support critical needs. While we expect a lot of each other, we also offer a high degree of autonomy and work-life balance, including unlimited PTO and flexible working hours.
Compensation and Benefits
If hired for this full-time role, you will receive:
- Cash compensation of $150,000 - $225,000
- Equity in the company; we’re all owners and if we’re successful, this equity should be far and away the most valuable component of your compensation
- A benefits package that helps you take care of yourself and your family, including:
- Unlimited paid time off
- Health insurance (the company pays 100% of gold level PPO plan for full time employees, their partners, and dependents)
- Dental insurance (the company pays 33% for full time employees and 100% for their partners and dependents)
- Vision insurance (the company pays 100% for full time employees, their partners, and dependents)
- Disability insurance (the company pays 100% for a policy to provide long term financial support if you become disabled)
- Ability to contribute to tax-advantaged accounts, including 401(k), health FSA, and dependent care FSA
- Relocation assistance to facilitate your move to Portland (if needed)