General Motors (GM) is seeking an Environmental Attorney to join its Detroit-based Legal Staff. The attorney will be responsible for providing legal advice to Company personnel on all aspects of environmental law relating to the Company’s facilities. This person will report to the Lead Counsel for the Environmental practice area.
- Advise GM engineers, technical staff, government relations/public policy staff, sustainability staff, and management on environmental laws, regulations, and policies.
- Represent GM before federal, state, and local environmental agencies in permitting, enforcement, and other matters.
- Work closely with Company personnel on internal compliance and strategy committees and trade associations.
- Review proposed environmental laws and regulations and assist in drafting GM and industry comments.
- Draft, review, and negotiate environmental aspects of legal agreements.
- Maintain knowledge of relevant laws and regulations and regulatory agency policies and guidelines.
Additional Job Description
- J.D. from an accredited law school with strong academic credentials.
- Licensed to practice law as in-house counsel in Michigan or eligible for reciprocal admission.
- Minimum of 5 – 8 years of law firm and/or in-house experience in environmental matters.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of internal stakeholders and colleagues, outside counsel, and regulators.
- Ability to collaborate within a variety of legal groups and business functions and to demonstrate leadership through teamwork.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- More than 5 years of experience in environmental matters.
- Significant experience in air, water, and waste regulatory matters, and transactional due diligence.
- Experience with sustainability and climate change matters a plus.
Compensation: The expected base compensation for this role is: $165,000- $230,000. Actual base compensation within the identified range will vary based on factors relevant to the position.
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
GMis an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. GM is committed to providing a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and advancing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, all practices and decisions relating to terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment are made without regard to an individual's protected characteristics. For purposes of this policy, “protected characteristics" include an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, weight, height, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com