Job Title: Grants & Funding Trainee
Reporting Line: Team Lead – Accounting ,Reporting & Treasury
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in 9 countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.5 million customers and more than 8 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
ENGIE is hiring a Fundraising grants Trainee who's looking for a great way to launch his/her career. If you are seeking new challenges and additional responsibilities that will give you the opportunity to work in a busy finance office, this is the job for you. You will assist in researching grants opportunities, build networks and support in preparing grants applications, grant management processes to ensure the country has a diversified funding portfolio. The role will report directly to the head of funding and will be part of the finance team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Coordination, partnership building and visibility:
- Supports in the mapping of relevant donor opportunities and identification of new donors.
- Participates in donor and partner meetings for potential collaboration.
- Works with the team(s) to develop country project briefs and other visibility and marketing materials for sharing with new potential donors and partners.
- Organizes and maintains information on funding opportunities, proposal pipelines, and proposal development.
- Keeps documents up to date on the country office grant portfolio, start and end of grants, etc.
- Contributes to the development of the fundraising strategy for the country.
- Works with the team and implementing partners to support in the development of concept notes and proposals, project briefs and other visibility/marketing materials for new potential donors and partners.
- Works with the project team to receive progress updates on individual grants and projects.
- Coordinates with and supports finance and project staff on proposals, providing guidance and feedback on workplans, deadlines, and proposal parameters.
- Provides templates and guidance to project teams.
- Leads on the coordination of reviews between involved departments.
New Business Development:
- Supports the funding team in Grant Opening, Grant Closing, and Check-in meetings, bringing together all relevant staff to go over financial, procurement, and reporting needs.
- Familiarizes oneself with the varying sub-grant partnerships across projects and monitors the relationship for the duration of the grant, relaying issues to relevant staff when necessary.
- Ensures appropriate internal formats and donor formats for budget development are used.
- Develops and maintains a database with information about new business development meetings with potential donors and partners and any other meeting related to funding.
- Contributes to reviewing and editing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports on projects.
- Supports the project team and funding team on capacity-building of partners and keeps regular communication with the partner.
- Maintains up to date knowledge about the humanitarian situation in the country identifying gaps and needs and alerting the Head of Funding regarding project opportunities.
- Updating the country team(s) on the country’s funding landscape and new developments as they emerge.
- At EEA, we have high expectations for our managers. Each manager plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our managers help EEA realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
Knowledge and skills
Professional Qualifications and Experience:
- University Degree in Project Management, Grants Management or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated experience in grant acquisition is a plus.
- Certificate course(s) in proposal development, grants management is a plus.
- Experience with a broad range of international and local donors
- Strong written and spoken professional English required.
- Knowledge of MS Office – Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint – is a must.
Experience, Skills & Competencies:
- Willingness to work independently and in a team environment. Fast learner and worker, ready to give the best in accomplishing duties in a timeline.
- Strong networking skills are a must.
- Great interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
Terms of Employment:
The initial contract will be for three (3) months and may be renewed. This is an opportunity to be your best while building a future career possibility.
- 40 hours/week, 8am to 5pm Nairobi Time, Monday to Friday, in the Nairobi office
We thank all applicants for their interest, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!