Freedom Solar Power is one of the largest and fastest-growing solar installation companies in the United States. Founded in Austin in 2007, our residential business serves Texas, Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia, and our commercial business has a nationwide reach. Our strong reputation in the industry is based on our dedication to quality workmanship and outstanding customer service. At Freedom Solar Power, our mission is to enable our customers to live more powerfully by harnessing clean, affordable, and reliable energy from the sun. We take great pride in living by these 6 core values:
Pride in Quality Craftsmanship
Go Above and Beyond
Put People First
Have a Humble Heart
Give a Damn
Freedom Solar Power is looking for a talented and experienced Counsel, Litigation & Commercial, to support our internal teams on a variety of day-to-day legal matters. The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for managing and resolving litigation and other disputes, supporting our commercial business, and enhancing our customer journey.
This position offers significant room for growth and the opportunity to gain real-world experience and knowledge in a variety of legal areas. You will be encouraged to build your profile internally by working collaboratively across departments and regions, analyzing and reducing the company’s risk profile, and driving revenue growth.
While we prefer candidates local to Austin, Texas, we will consider all qualified applicants.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Direct and manage all aspects of the company’s litigation and dispute matters, as well as advise the General Counsel and executive team on litigation and dispute risks, strategies, and potential resolutions.
- Drive revenue by leading the drafting, review, and negotiation of agreements in support of the Company’s commercial business, including commercial sales agreements. Support the Commercial team’s efforts to respond to RFPs.
- Lead negotiations on a broad array of commercial agreements across the Company’s internal teams, including software licensing and service agreements, lead sourcing agreements, marketing service agreements, and consulting agreements.
- Advise and direct internal stakeholders with respect to customer cancellations, liens, collections, and related matters.
- Provide forward-looking, pragmatic legal guidance and training to our Customer Experience, Sales, Marketing, and Commercial teams to ensure their activities, business practices, and transactions comply with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Assist with corporate secretarial tasks, including entity management, and drafting, updating, and maintaining the company’s policies and procedures.
- Oversee the company’s vendor onboarding process, including leading the negotiation of vendor agreements and managing the company’s relationship with its third-party vendor onboarding partner.
- Efficiently partner with outside legal counsel to promote Freedom Solar Power’s growth and interests.
- Stay aware of new laws and regulations that could have an impact on the company’s business activities, both regionally and nationally.
- Assist the General Counsel, as requested, with contract management and other administrative functions.
- Support the company’s key strategic projects, high-profile issues, and mission, while demonstrating its core values.
- 3+ years as a licensed attorney, with experience in litigation and dispute matters. Commercial transactional experience and/or in-house experience in the construction or energy industries strongly valued.
- JD or LLM from an accredited US law school; active membership in at least one U.S. state bar.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Desire to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, and collaborative environment.
- Willingness to roll up one’s sleeves.
- Organized self-starter with the ability to juggle multiple priorities.
- Professional demeanor, high level of integrity, good judgment, attention to detail, and effective problem solver.
- Alignment with the company’s mission and core values.
We understand you may be a great candidate without fitting all of our preferred qualifications, knowledge, skills, and attributes. And you may have other skills and experiences that are valuable for the role, but which we haven’t thought of. Because we recognize this and we value diversity of thought, experience, and background, we still encourage you to apply.
Freedom Solar Power is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.