This position will be based out of Washington DC and will be a hybrid model of remote and required in-office. OR can be based in our office in Bonn, Germany. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor visa work authorization for this position.
About the Program:
The NDC Partnership brings together more than 200 members, including more than 120 countries, developed and developing, and more than 85 institutions to create and deliver on ambitious climate action that helps achieve the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Governments identify their NDC implementation priorities and the type of support that is needed to translate them into actionable policies and programs. Based on these requests, the membership offers a tailored package of expertise, technical assistance, and funding. This collaborative response provides developing countries with efficient access to a wide range of resources to adapt to and mitigate climate change and foster more equitable and sustainable development. The NDC Partnership is hosted by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Secretariat, the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and the World Resources Institute (WRI). The Partnership has members in all regions of the world, with staff in Washington DC and Bonn, Germany
In this role, you will be actively involved in developing content for the Partnership’s multimedia channels, including the website, email, social media, publications and print and digital materials, regular communication products, and contributing to ongoing communication campaigns. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining our Editorial and Design calendar in coordination with Support Unit staff and external vendors, as well as overseeing the Partnership’s social media calendar. This position will involve both proactive planning to implement the Partnership’s ambitious, communications work plan, as well as reactive, rapid daily interaction on issues related to the Partnership’s work and impact, as well as that of its diverse membership. You will report directly to the Communications Manager and work closely with our Visual Media Specialist, Writer, Copyeditor and Event Manager. You will be a key member of the Outreach and Governance team led by the Deputy Director of Outreach & Governance.
What will you do:
Communications & Project Management (50%):
- Supports the Communications Manager with the production of all communications deliverables, including establishing deadlines for the Editorial and Design calendar, managing the intake and work flow for all communications products, and collaborating with Support Unit staff to frame and develop content
- Liaises with external vendors, contractors, and consultants to copyedit, write, design, develop, and translate Support Unit products in collaboration with the Partnership’s host institutions
- Engages with Support Unit staff to develop the monthly email newsletter and maintains and updates the newsletter audience
- Publishes and curates content for the website
- Supports design projects including photo selection and editing, as well as graphic design
Social Media (30%):
- Supports the development of the Partnership’s social media strategy under the guidance of the Communications Manager, including curating the social media calendar, working with staff to source and draft social content, and designing branded templates
- Regularly tracks and evaluates success metrics and key performance indicators with the Communications Manager to evaluate social media audience engagement and growth, and supports in media tracking and analysis
Administration, Grants and Finance (20%):
- Supports with budget tracking and processes all communications invoices, grants and contracts with vendors and consultants in coordination with the Communications Manager and Operations and Grants team
- Coordinates team input to the broader Support Unit, including through regular communications dispatches, meetings support and trainings
- Supports the close of the fiscal year as requested by the Deputy Director of Operations, and assists with the onboarding of new interns, vendors and consultants in coordination with the Communications Manager
What will you need:
- Education: A completed bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, international relations, public policy, or a related field
- Experience: 3+ years of full-time, relevant experience in communications, journalism, public relations, event management or a similar field
- Fluent in English (proficiency in Spanish and French is an asset)
- At least 2 years of experience developing social media content and scheduling and building a social media calendar, including experience with HootSuite, LinkedIn, Facbeook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube
- Familiarity and/or broad knowledge related to climate change, sustainable development, economic policy, and international development
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and complex ideas to a wide audience, including a general readership and technical/content experts
- Ability to communicative effectively regarding progress, deadlines, and turnaround times for all deliverables in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent writing, editing and proof-reading skills, and attention to detail
- Experience copyediting and familiarity with the Associated Press (AP) Style Guide
69,000 USD to 78,000 USD if based in the US. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by March 31st, 2023. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the United States.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission-driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.