The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our website.
The People Department Senior Manager provides leadership and hands-on solutions in response to HR needs throughout the organization. The Senior Manager works under the supervision of the Director of People and with the support of the SVP Of Operations to drive key areas of the People Department’s work, including talent acquisition, operations, and employee engagement. They assist in implementing the HR strategy for the organization and serve as a subject matter expert and human resource business partner across all programs and departments. They provide day to day supervision and mentoring of the People & HR Generalist and as needed manage external consultants and temporary staff.
The salary for the role is $104,212.
This position is hybrid, and expected to work from The Climate Reality Project office in Washington, DC at least two days per week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and sustain collaborative relationships and proactively help Director maintain and improve the People Department culture, include conflict resolution when necessary
- Support and mentor People & HR Generalist, helping them grow in their role and skillset, and provide guidance as needed to prioritize and plan their day to day tasks and longer term goals
- Lead talent acquisition for the organization, including building robust processes, systems, and metrics, as well as increase engagement with hiring managers, and ensure our mission is reflected and enacted throughout all stages the recruitment process
- Delegate to and work closely with People and HR Generalist on various tasks within talent acquisition, supporting their role in leading the onboarding process for staff and interns
- Lead People Department operations including planning, OKR monitoring & reporting, vendor invoicing, and process management, as well as serving as a partner to Project Management Office in the scoping, requirements analysis, and implementation of new processes, systems, and policies that increase efficiency, mitigate risk, and improve support for the organization
- Support the Director of People and the Senior Management Team to continue the development and implementation of HR strategies, policies and practices that support Climate Reality’s goals and needs, and nurture a diverse, respectful, and inclusive work environment for all employees
- Use compassion, respect, and professional maturity to build and sustain open, collaborative relationships with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders
- Serve as a human resource business partner, regularly engaging with departments, advising on talent acquisition, HR policies and processes, and as needed provide support to resolve personnel issues and concerns, escalating where needed to Director of People or SVP Ops
- Support the continued development of an atmosphere of trust and confidentiality to create structure and space for difficult HR-related conversations when needed, while continually ensuring a safe and inclusive workplace that promotes diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice
- Research and remain knowledgeable of HR trends in the nonprofit field, as well as regulatory changes that could potentially impact our personnel and HR-related policies, ensuring that HR processes and operations remain in compliance with federal and state laws
- Support and contribute to the ongoing improvement of our operations and enrichment of our culture, for example by serving on ad hoc or ongoing work groups, assisting with the onboarding and training of colleagues, and participating in efforts to assess, refine, and strengthen our culture and practices
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Authenticity, openness to embrace radical candor, strong collaborator and listener, and genuine passion for Climate Reality’s mission and vision
- Ability to motivate and engage team members. Ensure that HR practices and internal cultures are aligned with and reflect core values and mission
- Lead by example and demonstrate that at times, empathy is an essential quality and have an eye consistently focused on the future and how to best adapt the organization over time
- Has unquestioned integrity, ethics and values —someone who can be trusted without reservation
- Lead and execute a best-in-class human resource function with superior knowledge of talent acquisition and HR operations strategies
- Experienced professional with a strong expertise and background in multiple aspects of human resources, including both as a hands-on generalist and with ability to lead functions of the People Department
- Proven ability to establish and implement progressive systems and structures designed to support the development and engagement of staff and overall organizational goals
- Excellent communication skills that enable an environment of collaboration, transparency, and respect
- Ability to strengthen relationships between departments as well as team members and help to identify and resolve work conflicts
- Experience as a strategic partner to the Senior Management Team highly desired but not required
- Ability to proactively identify opportunities for improvement and to design and implement solutions across all HR areas of focus to build engagement and employee satisfaction
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors degree in HR or certified HR professional with a specialization in human resources or people management
- Has at least 3 to 5 years of relevant HR experience, including experience in management
- Track record of successful talent acquisition and strong understanding of the full talent cycle
- Strong experience leading and growing HR operations including Payroll and Benefits.
- Experience as a daily user or administrator of various HRIS and ATS systems expected, previous experience with requirements analysis and roll out of such systems desired
- Experience analyzing and conveying HR statistics and metrics like employee performance, turnover, retention, and cost per hire rate to senior management
- Lived experience with marginalized communities.
The Climate Reality Project has adopted a competency-based approach to job definition, hiring, performance assessment, and professional development. The following are our seven organization-wide competencies and examples of how they manifest for this role.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Actively listens to others and seeks to understand diverse perspectives; proactively and effectively manages larger teams; demonstrates the ability to effectively supervise.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Demonstrates the ability to adapt to changing priorities and circumstances; takes initiative to solve problems, improve processes, and/or achieve outcomes; learns quickly when faced with new situations or systems.
- Written and Verbal Communication: Written communication is clear and concise; verbal communication is intentional and straightforward; clearly communicates a shared vision and priorities for the department; clearly conveys objectives, deadlines, and expectations to supervisees.
- Time and Project Management: Manages multiple competing priorities, tasks, and projects effectively; holds staff and self accountable for achieving objectives; effectively manages conflict among the team, seeing conflicts as opportunities, integrating diverse views and finding common ground, and settling differences in productive ways.
- Professional Development: Actively learns through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder; supports supervisees’ professional development by providing opportunities to put skills into practice; connects supervisees to other advocates, experts, mentors, and resources and to substantive training opportunities.
- Climate Justice: Knows and understands how systems and structures perpetuate inequities internally and externally; fully supports the organization’s efforts to change said systems and structures; works to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment in Climate Reality spaces (workplace, events, trainings, and other convenings).
- Climate Reality Mission and Focus: Is passionate about Climate Reality’s role and mission and can act as a Climate Reality ambassador to a diverse set of audiences; stays up-to-date on climate trends, impacts and solutions.
In addition to organization-wide competencies, each role has its own competencies. Below are examples of how each competency manifests in this role.
- Policies and Procedures: Plans operational projects requiring multiple teams and processes; reviews timelines and guides organizational problem-solving relating to operations and HR processes; identifies HR best practices and ensures alignment and implementation across the organization.
- Technology Skills and Data Systems: Uses technology and software relevant to job duties effectively (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Salesforce, ADP, Paylocity, ATS & HRIS systems, etc.); manages internal electronic documents effectively, including for the purposes of compliance, hiring, and retention.
- Interpersonal Skills: Practices positive employee relations, including maintaining a positive morale and a genuine, upbeat work environment; models diplomatic and collaborative decision-making.
- Change Management Skills: Champions the use of organization-wide systems and promotes the adoption of policies and procedures in all messaging; holds department leadership accountable for the consistent application of HR and Operational policies through regular feedback and coaching.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Climate Reality, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in this job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities and termination.
Excellent benefits, including employer paid 100% employee medical, life, dental, vision. 401K, Paid Parental Leave and other fringe benefits such as wellness days, vacation and sick time are all included.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com