This position will be based out of our WRI Kenya office. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor any visa work sponsorship for this position.
About the Program:
WRI has been working in Africa for more than 30 years, supporting local partners and Africa governments to advance forest protection, landscape restoration and sustainable cities. Our vision for Africa is an inclusive transformation so Africa’s people and landscapes flourish. WRI Africa generates actionable knowledge across three strategic pillars: vital landscapes, thriving and resilient cities, and institutional and economic transformation.
The WRI Africa Operations team supports the crucial front-line work of the organization, they directly interact and work with donors, partners, government agencies, statutory bodies, trustees, vendors, and consultants, providing support in different operational areas and solving problems so that WRI programs can be implemented without any hurdles and the program staff and researchers can develop high quality research documents, plans and implement the programs at the field level.
The WRI Africa Operations team strive for operational excellence across all functions starting with the recruitment, retention and management of WRI’s staff, our most important asset. We manage our endowment, the contributions entrusted to us, and our facilities in ways that are in line with our values and advance our mission. We maintain strict budgetary planning and financial controls to ensure that all contributions are managed in compliance with donors’ regulations.
As the Administration Manager, you will be responsible for keeping the office running smoothly and overseeing administrative support. You will be responsible for implementing administrative procedures and systems and work closely with other departments such as the Finance and Human Resources. You will report to the Director of Finance and Operations Africa of WRI Africa.
What will you do:
Administration (55% time):
- Provide support on various administrative issues to ensure efficient and effective running of day-to-day operations of the Nairobi Office
- Develop and maintain the SOPs of the various administration processes and ensure seamless execution of office operating procedures
- Support WRI staff visiting from different locations with their accommodation, travel arrangements, and workspace
- Actively lead the planning and execution of events in coordination with the office assistant
- Maintain the office facility, repairs, and maintenance by coordinating with the facility managers on issues relating to maintenance or concerns
- Manage office supplies and ensure efficient usage
- Manage staff, such as an Administration Assistant and cleaning crew
Logistics and Procurement (30% time):
- Maintain a robust and updated asset management register for all company assets (for example, furniture, computer, laptops)
- Maintain accurate logistics records and provide regular reports to relevant team members
- Plan and implement logistics in a way that maximizes effective use of resources
- Provide support in procurement processes (including international shipments when required), e.g., identifying supplier and items, collecting proforma invoices, and preparing bid analyses, handling duty free and custom clearances
- Coordinate with the Finance Manager on procurement of capital equipment, goods and services
- Maintain and update supplier information on the database
- Maintain good supplier relations and assist with contracting
Travel and Immigration (15% time):
- Provide support in processing work permit for international staff and maintain accurate data
- Facilitate the management and administration of schedules and logistics for all visitors
- Manage visa processing for both international and national staff, manage logistics (airport pick-up, hotel bookings).
What will you need:
- Education: You have a completed a bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Arts, Finance or a related field
- Experience: You have 6+ years of full-time relevant work experience
- Experience in basic procurement processes and requirements, preferably in an international NGO
- Experience managing travel and immigration for events, including booking hotels and processing work permits
- Experience in office management
- Experience organizing international events and workshops will be an added advantage
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Languages: You are proficient in written and spoken English
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position will be based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by March 16 2023. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the United States.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission-driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.