About Appalachian Voices
Appalachian Voices is a nonprofit advocacy organization that works to achieve an Appalachia with healthy, intact ecosystems and advance a just transition to a generative and equitable clean energy economy. We have 30 staff members located in offices in Boone, N.C., Charlottesville, Va., Norton, Va., Knoxville, Tenn., and Durham, N.C.
Commitment to Equity
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We understand people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the primary roles and responsibilities listed. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
Appalachian Voices is seeking an experienced, dynamic administrative professional to work with the executive leadership team and board of directors. This is an ideal position for someone passionate about non-profit management and who thrives in high-energy work environments. A successful candidate will be able to identify and solve problems independently, displaying a high degree of initiative. Preference will be given to candidates with previous executive support experience.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities
· Administrative Tasks: support the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director with calendar and task management, travel logistics, expense reporting, the organization of executive files, and other related tasks.
· Written Communications: support the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director by assisting with the development of written communications through high-quality proofing, copy editing, and document formatting..
· Meeting Preparation: support the development of meeting agendas, research and prepare briefing materials when necessary, and maintain minutes on meetings and activities.
· Event Assistance: assist with planning virtual and in-person gatherings, secure and prepare meeting spaces, create agendas, and assist with major event/special occasions as necessary (e.g. annual staff retreat).
Board Liaison Duties
· Communication: support the development of written communications for the Board including the preparation of board packets and serve as a central contact for routine Board-related matters.
· Meeting Management: manage annual meeting calendar, handle meeting logistics in preparation for and during meetings, including coordinating technology needs and maintaining accurate minutes for all Board and Board Committee meetings.
· Other Assistance: assist Board chair and other board members as needed, maintain the board handbook and related files, and oversee new member orientation.
Administrative & Office Management
- Oversee day-to-day management of Appalachian Voices’ Charlottesville office including processing mail, maintaining office supplies, and other routine administrative responsibilities.
- Work with the Operations team to manage vendors and facility contracts, handle coordination with landlord and property manager on building maintenance, and troubleshoot facility issues when necessary.
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage multiple tasks with a high attention to detail
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including staff, board members, and partners
- Action-oriented, self-starter who can work well independently and within a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solutions-oriented individual able to proactively solve problems
- Discretion and the ability to handle confidential information
- Experience in non-profit administration preferred
- Knowledge of non-profit governance and board best practices preferred
- Ability to travel and work some nights and weekends when necessary
Location & Compensation
This position is full-time (40-hour work week) and will be based in our Charlottesville, VA office. Appalachian Voices supports flexibility in working from home; however, this position will be expected to maintain a regular presence in the office.
We are accepting applications from people with a range of experience levels and salary requirements. Salary will be commensurate with the experience of our selected candidate (we anticipate in the range of $62,500- 70,000 per year). Appalachian Voices is committed to equity in pay practice.
Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans, generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled. For early consideration, apply by March 24th. The interview process will begin in late March, with a target hire date of May 15, 2023. Questions about the position are welcomed via email. No calls, please.
Please send a resume and a brief cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “[YOUR NAME] Application for Executive Assistant.”