Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
We’re looking for a Commercial Manager to support our team to develop new business models, alliances and partnerships by deploying a range of green tech we’ve developed across the Octopus Energy Group.
But there’s probably some things you should know first…
We’re looking for a commercial manager that is able to work across our teams to understand and qualify opportunities for us to expand how we deploy technology to build a greener and more sustainable world. You can build a financial model, develop a case for action and present new ideas grounded in facts and figures - but what really makes you tick is unlocking business opportunities and models that go beyond the sum of their parts.
You love tech and geek out on smart tech in particular. You also obsess about how to explain to normal people what this tech can do for them. Putting tech to work to make the world a better (and greener!) place is what gets you out of bed in the morning.
You are comfortable with process but understand that it’s outcomes that matter. You’re a natural leader, but that doesn’t have to mean you’ve “managed” a team. You’ll happily work with no direct reports, but your enthusiasm and the way you go about your business means awesome people follow you, and you’ll get stuff done.
You’ve a burning desire to turn your skills to something meaningful. You enjoy shipping products and delivering services, but you’d rather not just make and sell someone else’s stuff anymore. You want to take the lead in making something the world desperately needs.
And finally, we have to be honest. We find that people from traditional businesses often struggle here. We don’t work to backlogs, we don’t write business cases. We prioritise effectiveness and efficiency above all else. We expect accountability without process, and responsibility without functional shoulder pads. We get stuff done by knowing what’s right, and sometimes that’s hard.
What you'll do
Evaluate and develop new commercial models for Octopus Energy to participate in the decarbonisation of homes, businesses, buildings and the built environment in general. Activities will range across a number of businesses and activities across the group (Retail, Heat, Generation) but always with a focus on decarbonisation.
What you'll need
- To be highly numerate
- An analytical mind, able to construct a case for action based on data and facts
- An understanding of financing / project finance and the ability to navigate and evaluate different funding and financing options
- Working knowledge of the energy market/sector with a working knowledge of energy efficiency and grid flexibility services is a bonus
- An agile mindset; you can both nurture a commercial offering and optimise the implementation to the smallest detail
- Entrepreneurial instincts with clear bias for informed action and track record of leading new initiatives with limited resources and support
- An interest in sustainability, green energy and zero emissions buildings and transport
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.