About Climate Central: Climate Central is an independent, dynamic science, technology and communications non-profit organization with an entrepreneurial atmosphere. We conduct cutting-edge climate research and develop compelling visualizations and communications products that show the daily, local impacts of climate change in the US and around the world. We support thousands of partners in their efforts to understand and communicate about climate trends, risks, and solutions. We are a non-partisan, non-advocacy, science-based climate leader.
About the Opportunity:
Climate Central and several international partner organizations are launching a new initiative aimed at transforming the frequency, timeliness, and effectiveness of science-based climate communications around the world. We are looking for a dynamic individual to help manage this complex project, which brings together scientific research, advanced technology, new communication strategies, and deep messenger engagement. Our effort will develop both internal and public products and services to identify climate fingerprints in daily weather and extreme events worldwide, and to communicate these linkages with the goal of informing and catalyzing climate action that meets the challenge of this global threat.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinating activities between project partners and between teams of scientists, software developers, and communicators.
- Facilitating a shared understanding of project goals, timelines, activities, and accomplishments among team members at Climate Central and among partners.
- Helping design and facilitate Climate Central and full team meetings – frequency, participants, agendas as needed.
- Tracking project milestones and metrics.
- Tracking expenses against project budget.
- Assisting with the production of grant reports and other project documentation.
- Representing the project internally and externally.
Essential qualifications for this role:
- Project Management. You can demonstrate exceptional project management skills. You are highly organized and can take many inputs, turn into thoughtful project plans and track and communicate progress to goals. You can see the big picture but also track and pay attention to the details. You have a demonstrated capacity to coordinate across a team of professionals from varied backgrounds in a complex, high-profile, high-impact project. You have experience managing budgets and strong technology skills.
- Communication and Relationship-Building Skills. You have excellent verbal and written communication skills. You can authentically connect with colleagues and partners, build lasting relationships and work effectively across difference. You listen deeply, have a high level of emotional intelligence, are committed to collaboration and work to learn from others.
- Facilitation Skills. You have experience designing and facilitating productive meetings and engagements. You are comfortable developing agendas, facilitating meetings and tracking follow up items. You work to foster inclusive discussions ensuring all voices are heard and respected.
- Communications Technology. You have experience using communication technology and software to keep teams in sync
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Climate Change Experience. You have a passion for and experience with climate science, climate communications, and climate solutions.
This position can be mostly remote. Presence is required for key events, and periodic key project team meetings and coordination meetings with company functional areas. Some overnight travel will be required to conferences and client meetings. Climate Central’s headquarters are in Princeton, N.J., operating under standard U.S. Eastern time business hours. Preference will be given to candidates who are able to be present in our Princeton, NJ office at least twice per month, and ideally once per week or more. Candidates must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Climate Central offers generous benefits including paid vacation, medical, dental, 401K with matching, and partial college tuition for children of employees who qualify.
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
How to Apply
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the exact subject line, “Project Manager–Climate Partnership"(no quotes). Your resume should be attached as a single PDF file named Lastname_Firstname.pdf. If you choose to include your education history, please remove the name of your school from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Communication”), but please remove any undergraduate or graduate school names. This is aimed at reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the recruitment process.
Please note that we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one with your application.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. The search will close when a successful candidate is recruited.
Resume review will begin on March 8, 2023.