A Dimensional analysis Sr. quality engineer is responsible for leading and directing a team of QE that deep dive into the root causes of an issue, collaborating with manufacturing, design, and process engineering to define a resolution, delegating, and driving this solution through the process to series implementation, and validating the effectiveness of the measure on the vehicle. They additionally work closely with setting standards for functions on the whole vehicle, and in collaboration with the Testing & Development team for generating test methods to be applied in the production environment. Duties include tracking and monitoring multiple projects and issues simultaneously, using available resources to support robust root cause determination and verification of effectiveness, supporting optimized utilization of the existing equipment (including development of test profiles and fixtures), identifying needs for additional resources should these be needed, and reporting out to leadership on progress. A structured approach to problem-solving, including the use of proven quality methods, is required to ensure robust resolution of issues. Fundamental knowledge of vehicle systems is required, a working knowledge of value-added production systems, manufacturing methods in the automotive industry and vehicle test and analysis methods (specifically in functional and dynamic acoustics) are required to be successful.
- Lead team that analysis process utilizing proven quality tools to help develop immediate countermeasures (containments) and permanent (long-term) solutions in response to internal and external customer quality concerns.
- Drive development of methods to analyze product and process quality.
- Improve product/validation quality by defining/implementing recommendations for improvements of current state.
- Drive improvements to meet long-term Customer Quality Expectations.
- Analyze data to define trends, capability, and functional improvements.
- Work together with relevant teams and departments to understand the needs regarding analysis and measurement systems.
- Conduct analyses of issues and validations of solutions.
- Lead brainstorming and ideation to develop solutions for observed problems.
- Formulate a strategic plan to develop systems and metrics that increase productivity in the business.
- Proactively identify testing and process improvements independent of quality issues (e.g. simplification, cost-down, durability improvements, sampling rates, tool improvement, etc.)
- Supervise team on QEs for performance and deadlines in ways that comply with company’s plans and vision.
- Lead cross-functional problem solving teams across all business units.
- Organize workflow and ensure that team participants understand their duties and delegated tasks.
- Prepare and Perform Leadership reviews for decision making.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to read and understand CMM and scan reports is a must.
- Excellent knowledge of GD&T and the capacity to develop datum techniques that reduce tolerance stack-up in critical areas
- Experience with tolerance analysis using 3DCS or similar software package
- High proficiency in computer technology and systems operations.
- Experience with CATIA or similar CAD software for design and PLM functions
- Strong understanding of Cost-of-Quality and Cradle-to-Grave Business-Case metrics.
- Advanced skills and knowledge of Dimensional analysis packages such as PiWeb, Polyworks, Calypso
- Manufacturing/assembly experience with a focus in one or more of the following areas: Automotive Stamping, Body In White assemblies/subassemblies, Drivetrain castings/gears, Battery modules
- Results driven with a Quality Mindset.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Statistical process control / control charts. Experience creating and interpreting reports from Minitab, JMP, MatLab, or other statistical analysis package.
- Good electronic communication software skills (MS Office, Smartsheet, Project Management Software).
- Willingness to work in a strong cross-functional and collaborative environment
- Engineering, Quality, Computer Science or Business technical Bachelor Degree OR 8+ years' experience in automotive testing or MFG environment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit; use hands to grasp, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
In the performance of the duties of this job the employee is required to travel (frequency), drive a motor vehicle, communicate using telephone and e-mail.