Centre for Net Zero (CNZ) is an impact-driven research unit established by Octopus Energy in 2021. We deliver pioneering research to make the future energy system a reality and work at the intersection of tech, energy and climate. Through our access to millions of Octopus Energy data sets and customers globally, we use field trials, experimentation and modelling to design a people-centred future energy system.
As an innovative and high growth global company, Octopus Energy has access to millions of progressive energy customers with billions of corresponding data points. This gives us unprecedented insight into the energy behaviours of tomorrow, today. We are also starting to see the genesis of open data, modelling and tools from the energy community that can be leveraged to build confidence in a better vision for the energy system. We believe that through transparent research, opening up data and building tools in a tech-first and modern way, we can work together to co-design the future energy system.
Our work this year will focus on building models and tools for academic researchers, grid operators and policy stakeholders (including building on open-source models). We will also run a series of real-world trials and experiments with subsets of the Octopus Energy customer base, collecting data that can inform behavioural insights based work.
Applicants should note that we are an autonomous team that sets our own research agenda. Whilst we work closely with Octopus Energy, we are a separate organisation that is part of the Octopus Energy group of companies.
About the Role
We are looking for a Data Engineer whose primary focus will be helping to build our modern data stack, and ensure other projects around the team are supported with tooling and applications that fit their needs. We want to ingest the latest data, and build robust, well-tested pipelines that give us confidence in our data modelling. You will have the autonomy to choose the right tools for the given use case, and maintain our architecture as we scale our research at Centre for Net Zero.
Experience working in energy is beneficial, but not necessary. Experience working at smaller organisations, such as a startup, is beneficial.
What you'll need...
- Experience developing algorithms and analyses to solve real-world problems and influence change
- Fluency in Python and SQL
- Experience setting up and working within a start-up like environment - including shaping ways of working as well as leading on technical knowledge sharing and tool selection
- Experience working in the cloud (e.g GCP, AWS)
- Experience working with dbt heavily desirable
- Attention to detail and curiosity, with an eagerness to learn more about the energy industry
- An ability to write clear, maintainable code
It would be great if you had an understand or interest in...
- Econometrics and modelling and estimating consumer behaviour
- An interest in the “modern data stack” (tools such as Airflow and dbt, and phrases like “ELT”, “orchestration”, “extraction”, “ingestion”, “transformation”, “visualisation”, “data lake” vs “data warehouse”)
- Test-driven development
Why else you'll love it here...
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If you are interested in the Centre for Net Zero please send us over your details along with a bit about you and why you're interested.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.