The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
As we enter the stage of rapid commercialisation and customer account growth, we have a number of exciting new offerings to launch to customers. We’re looking for an exceptional person to help us continuously deliver features that provide value to our customers. Our ideal engineer would be an individual who loves to engage with interesting software problems, with an interest in data related development and the passion to build and shape the future within a collaborative, community-based environment. We operate a highly agile development approach, giving wide scope to be involved with hands-on system-design, test driven development, deployment and operations.
Our data sources and problems are many and varied. We have some simple but high throughput data sources (e.g. over 600,000,000 rows a day and growing rapidly), complex unstructured and semi structured data and complex application data from our various microservices.
Our aim is to allow our business and our customers to answer increasingly complex questions, and gain new insights, based on our data, additional external data, and things we can learn and models we can extract from our data.
What you'll do
- Build and maintain data pipelines that deliver key data and insights to the business
- Integrate new data sources into the data platform through APIs or bulk data transfer
- Build and maintain testing and documentation frameworks for our data sources
- Work with the business to scope and deliver new data engineering projects and requirements
- Maintain and build on our existing data infrastructure and tools
- Support the internationalisation of our data infrastructure as we continue to grow globally
- Contribute to the software engineering and data engineering culture here at KrakenFlex
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues with many different professional specialities, including software engineers and data scientists, to create innovative solutions that delight our customers and colleagues
- Work as part of a team of engineers, regularly seeking feedback and growing your skills as technical professionals.
What you'll need
- In depth industry experience in software development & design
- Experience in Python
- Experience with data processing and pipeline technologies e.g. AWS Glue, Spark, Databricks, Airflow, dbt, Redshift, SQL, Athena, Parquet (don’t worry, we don’t expect or want you to have them all, and experience with other technologies doing the same jobs is also interesting).
- A drive to get things done in a collaborative, agile development environment
- An interest in working with data, both processing and analysing
- A proven ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical and multitasking skills
It would be great if you had
- Experience with BI and/or Analytics tools, e.g. Athena, Tableau, Quicksight
- Experience working with data lakes and data at scale
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud providers, and serverless technologies e.g. AWS Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB, API Gateway
- Experience developing, securing or operating cloud scale applications or infrastructure; ideally terraform or cloudformation
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
Ideally you will be based in the Greater Manchester and happy to come into the office a couple of days per week! But we appreciate that things have changed and flexibility is at the top of everyone's agenda, so if you would rather be remote please let us know.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.