This position can be based in the United States and is remote-eligible and only for consideration where WRI is state registered, or in the WRI Mexico office. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor any visa work sponsorship for this position.
About the Program:
The Global Restoration Initiative (GRI) works with governments and international partners to inspire, enable and implement restoration on degraded landscapes, returning them to economic and environmental productivity. Alongside IUCN and other partners, WRI has identified more than two billion hectares of cleared and degraded forest and agricultural lands suitable for restoration – an area roughly twice the size of China. Using this data as a foundation, we work to promote restoration of degraded lands back into natural forests, agroforestry systems, or productive agriculture. Embracing forest and landscape restoration will allow for a world in which the amount of forest cover grows while the productivity of existing agricultural land increases.
As a member of the GRI Operations Team, you will provide administrative oversight and support program operations for an award from the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building, and Nuclear Safety of Germany (BMU). You will ensure accurate grant and contract management, offer financial oversight, and foster partner coordination for a 5 year/30 million Euro award. As a Grants & Finance Specialist, you will have the opportunity to advance your career in non-profit operations and financial management.
You will be supported by the GRI's Operations and Management team, WRI’s Mexico office, the staff from WRI’s 20x20 Initiative, and WRI’s Accounting, Grants and Contracts teams, and project managers within the Forest Program.
You will report to the GRI's Operations Manager.
What you will do:
Grant Financial Management (45%)
- Coordinate with and advise project leads on budget management, including use of budgeting software, monthly financial tracking, and supporting project managers in expense forecasting and revenue analysis.
- Regularly review, update, and monitor all transactions, invoices, commitments, and revenue prospects.
- Follows WRI’s internal processes and deadlines related to funding, including quarterly reviews, financial reporting, monthly & annual closeouts, and future fiscal year annual budget submission.
Grant and Sub agreement Management (50%)
- Work directly with funders to request and submit Prime award amendments, payment request, and other funder related needs.
- Process and execute new subgrants, contracts, and amendments as needed.
- Process invoices and payments for projects in compliance with WRI’s policies.
- Monitor partners to ensure the timely and accurate submission of progress and financial reports.
Program Administration and Operations (5%)
- Monitor compliance with and advise teams on institutional policies, such as WRI’s travel and expense policy.
- Support miscellaneous project operations needs, including personnel processes, labor forecasting and guidance processes, and IT.
- Advise team on budget management and address any financial issues in coordination with the Operations Manager.
- Track program funding opportunities and record information in on-line tracking systems.
What you will need:
Education: You have a completed Bachelor's degree in finance, business or public administration, non-profit management, or similar.
Experience: You have a minimum of 6+ years of full-time relevant work experience in program operations, grant compliance, fundraising, financial management, and project level budgeting.
- You have 1+ years of supervisory experience
- You are adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and can run multiple projects with varying deadlines.
- You have experience with compliance and you are process-oriented, with sensitivity to being able to explain these issues to WRI project managers, partners, and contractors.
- Prior engagement in International Development is a plus.
- Experience with financial software such as TM1 and Cognos and CRM software such as Salesforce considered a plus.
Languages: You have verbal and written proficiency in English. Knowledge of Spanish is a plus.
Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with a cover letter by January 31, 2023. You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organisation with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
About Us: Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organisation that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
Our culture: WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.