The Staff Electrical Distribution Component Engineer will be responsible and accountable for developing and documenting our preferred harness component selection strategy and serving as a subject matter expert in all things related to wire harness components.
The Staff Electrical Distribution Component Engineer will act will drive best practice components by meeting with component suppliers to understand the latest harness technologies, coordinating with the librarian team to fully define best practice library parts and then assuring these best practice parts are used in Rivian designs.
- Establish priority criteria for electrical wiring components including connectors, terminals, wires, splices, earth and ring terminals
- Manage new component requests as they come in and maintain an accurate status of completion for all Capital and 3DX components
- Research and promote new wire harness technologies adoption through discussions with established and new vendors
- Maintaining rapport with component manufacturers as to the status of their components. (Capacity, obsoletion, replacements, etc.)
- Identify cost down opportunities through components substitution/VAVE activities.
- Serving as SME for all harness components (connectors, clips, coverings, terminals)
- Maintaining the database of which components to use on new vehicles, as well as finding and notifying relevant parties on which components need to be replaced on current production.
- Define Capital Mentor Graphics Library Parts and Symbols
- Defining and adding electrical components within the standard component library in Catia 3D Experience
- Perform other duties as required or assigned within the scope of the position.
- Computer Science or equivalent bachelor’s degree
- 8+ years of automotive or aerospace harness componentry experience
- Must be experienced with Capital Mentor Graphics
- Experience with latest wire harness technologies
- Experience with the USCAR-21 spec defining crimp combination testing requirements
- Experience with USCAR-2, USCAR-25 and other related connector design and testing specs
- May have C++ and EKL knowledge for the purpose of further developing automations within 3DX.
- Fluent in English (speaking, reading, writing, and listening)
- Self-driven, displaying initiative with minimal supervision