This role will be focused on operating and maintaining dynamometer test systems for the development and validation testing of electrified powertrain systems (drive units, gearboxes). The Test Technician will work closely with Powertrain Test Engineers to install, configure and maintain test properties across a variety of complex powertrain test equipment in order to execute and monitor testing to requirements specified by Powertrain Validation engineers. Supported by the rest of the engineering team, you will be responsible for performing first-line troubleshooting of any operational issues encountered on test and take ownership of delivering high-quality test data to support high-level Test & Validation plans for the products. This position is full-time on-site required. The opening will be located at our Plymouth Test Lab facility and report directly to the Laboratory Manager.
- Operate and maintain large dynamometers (for vehicle and powertrain system level testing)
- Select and install instrumentation needed to collect response data from product during testing (accelerometers, strain gauges, pressure gauges, thermocouples, thermistors, hygrometers, voltage drop sense leads, etc.)
- Build and setup test rigs/dynos for mechanical and/or electrical tests together with Powertrain, NVH, Thermal engineering teams
- Perform routine maintenance to complex mechanical and electrical repairs.
- Take active part in Environmental Heath & Safety within laboratory environment, contributing to Risk Assessments and ensuring a safe work environment
- Support Validation Engineers to perform upgrades and modifications to Systems Under Test
- Perform first line of fault finding for operational issues which arise on System Under Test
- Perform diagnosis and repair of prototype vehicle’s electrical/mechanical/software systems
- Support Test Engineers to achieve test plans and test equipment upgrade projects
- Document and communicate findings through process and systems, taking ownership of early escalation where appropriate
- Generate and take ownership of process documentation for test rigs and associated test equipment
- Provide feedback, create and implement processes and suggestions to new and/or improved workshop standards, protocols, and processes.
- 2+ years Technician Experience working directly in test cells and/or large dynamometer systems
- 2+ years experience with electrified vehicles preferred
- Expertise in instrumentation (Thermocouples, RTDs, Strain Gauges, Accelerometers, Hygrometers, Pressure Gauges, Flow Meters)
- Expertise in powertrain test set up and test error proofing
- Expertise in mechanical tooling and build fixture design
- Knowledge of motor, inverter, and gearbox concepts
- Knowledge of propulsion system and thermal (coolant and refrigerant) systems
- Knowledge of Electric Vehicle safety
- Work under strenuous / awkward positions throughout the working day.
- Operate a variety of scan tools, diagnostic equipment and common automotive test equipment
- Strong diagnostic and problem solving skills to solve powertrain system issues
- Someone that takes pride in their work
- Work in a team environment and communicate with fellow technicians
- Basic workshop etiquette, provide verbal and writing communication across all teams
- Available for weekend shifts (Schedule Thursday - Monday).