Employment Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Wage: A competitive annual salary of $60,000 - $75,000 base pay
Reports To: Senior Legislative Manager
Position Location: Sacramento, California
Work Schedule: We currently work two (2) days a week in office and three (3) days remotely
Vaccine Policy: We require all staff to be fully vaccinated
WHO WE ARE
We believe this moment requires transformative change.
The climate crisis is here. And Black, Indigenous and people of color have been bearing the burden of our pollution-based economy for generations. We have the solutions to stop climate change, but we lack the political will to do it at the rate and scale that’s needed.
EnviroVoters exists to build the political will and power to solve the climate crisis, use climate action to advance justice, and create a global roadmap. To protect our water, land, air, and our most vulnerable communities, we organize voters, elect and train candidates, and hold lawmakers accountable for bold policy change. Our vision is to build resilient, healthy, thriving communities, and create a democracy and economy that is just and sustainable for all.
EnviroVoters Education Fund, EnviroVoters’s 501(c)3 sister organization, works through programs focused on voter engagement and mobilization, issue advocacy, legislative accountability, and research and opinion polling to provide the public, policymakers, and environmental advocates with the resources they need to make California’s air, water and natural resources cleaner and greener through the democratic process. For more information, please visit www.envirovotersedfund.org
The work of EnviroVoters and EnviroVoters Ed Fund to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social, and environmental justice. Engaging Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
- Serve as one of EnviroVoters’ main liaisons with the legislature.
- Make recommendations and provide valued input on positions that EnviroVoters should take on legislation and policy issues.
- Work with the Senior Legislative Manager to develop and implement EnviroVoters’ legislative accountability campaigns and strategy.
- Work with the legislative team to strategically plan and budget to achieve annual goals.
- Work with the EnviroVoters Communications and Organizing teams to develop and implement strategies that amplify our efforts to hold elected leaders accountable, advocate for priority policies, apply public pressure to advance a climate justice agenda, and build public support through socializing policy solutions with voters.
- Work with the Senior Legislative Manager to manage the legislative affairs team to ensure all EnviroVoters and EnviroVoters Education Fund legislative and policy efforts are consistently aligned and are working to meet the organizations’ strategic direction.
- Manage the legislative team to effectively and strategically advance the organization’s legislative and policy agenda and to coordinate coalitions and networks that EnviroVoters’ participates in or facilitates.
- Assist in the production of the annual EnviroVoters Scorecard to provide voters with an invaluable tool to understand California Legislator’s voting records on climate and environmental legislation and to hold elected leaders accountable.
- Provide timely and relevant updates to the EnviroVoters Program Committee, prepare materials, and participate in committee meetings.
- Represent the organization in an array of coalitions, networks, and groups including the administration and elected officials, the nonprofit community, political community, funders, and the press as needed.
- Occasionally serve as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Assist in writing communications to the organization’s membership to keep our supporters and members updated on important climate legislation and opportunities for the public to engage.
- Support the implementation of the EnviroVoters Education Fund Green California Program, a network of over 100 environmental, environmental justice, and health organizations who work together to pass climate and environmental policy priorities, which includes an annual Advocacy Day event which is a powerful event where advocates come together to advocate for collective priority legislation.
- Partner with other staff to facilitate internal briefings on complex issues within the environmental community.
- Conduct targeted education, outreach and relationship-building activities with policymakers in coordination and cooperation with EnviroVoters Political, Program and Education Fund staff.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
To be successful in this job, you must possess the following qualities and experience:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in the field of local, state, or federal environmental policy or advocacy
- Management experience in a team-oriented workplace
- Organizing and delegating assignments to team members
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building, employee coaching and development skills
- Planning and development of projects
- Outstanding organizational and leadership skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to manage multiple deadline-driven projects
- Skilled at developing and maintaining relationships with coalition partners
HOW TO APPLY
Apply through our careers portal – in case you need it, here is the link. Please note that a cover letter and resume must be provided for consideration and that applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. We look forward to receiving your application and learning more about you! Thank you for your interest in EnviroVoters!
WHAT ELSE YOU SHOULD KNOW
Don’t meet every single requirement? At EnviroVoters, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workspace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this role or other roles.
EnviroVoters and EnviroVoters Ed Fund has a deep commitment to equity and fostering a culture of inclusion. EnviroVoters invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our organization.
As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process and to perform essential job functions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, generous benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.