GrowNYC is a 51-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
· Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
· We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop 'N' Swaps, as well as free training to make waste reduction easy for all.
· We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
· We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires must be able to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination during the onboarding process. Employees are also required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Accounting Assistant will be an important member of the GrowNYC Accounting team, helping to achieve a smooth monthly, quarterly, and year-end close process, support the annual audit process, and ensure that org-wide budget tracking documents are up-to-date and readily accessible by program managers. In addition, the Accounting Assistant will play a key role in tracking government grant expenditures and ensuring timely reimbursement from a variety of government funders. The ideal candidate is a good communicator, flexible, organized, and mathematically inclined, with great analytical problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
You will have the ability to:
· Assist with monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial close process, especially general ledger account reconciliation.
· Ensure that program budgets vs. actual tracking documents are always updated for quick reference.
· Assist with government grant reporting and reimbursement requests.
· Receive and organize credit card purchase documentation from key staff and posts transactions to general ledger.
· Post routine/recurring monthly journal entries to general ledger.
· Reconcile monthly bank statements.
· Reconcile quarterly payroll reports.
· Assist with annual financial audit.
· Prepare budget slides and other infographic materials for Board/external presentations.
· Assist with other accounting department tasks as necessary.
· Minimum two years’ experience in a professional accounting environment.
· Must be comfortable in all areas of accounting.
· Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel (a brief skills test may be administered).
· Experience with accounting software (e.g. QuickBooks, Sage, NetSuite).
· Outstanding organizational skills.
Base Salary Range: $60,000 - $65,000 - commensurate upon experience and skillset; includes full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, pet insurance, Long Term disability, Incentive Savings plan, paid holidays, sick leave, PTO, commute, and FSA programs).
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.