About Appalachian Voices
Appalachian Voices is a nonprofit advocacy organization that works to achieve an Appalachia with healthy, intact ecosystems and advance a just transition to a generative and equitable clean energy economy. We have 30 staff members located in offices in Boone, N.C., Charlottesville, Va., Norton, Va., Knoxville, Tenn., and Durham, N.C.
Commitment to Equity
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Advancement Operations & Data Specialist
Appalachian Voices seeks an Advancement Operations & Data Specialist to support the Advancement Program across our fundraising efforts. The incumbent will play a critical role in supporting this function through data entry, tracking, and hygiene in the database of record, Salesforce. The Specialist should understand best practices in data management, be able to identify and adapt to shifting priorities, and be flexible and resourceful.
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. While familiarity with and experience in fundraising and grant writing for nonprofits are desired, they are not necessarily required. We encourage candidates to review the primary roles and responsibilities below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Advancement Manager, the Advancement Operations & Data Specialist will be responsible for the following:
Advancement Program Support
- Oversee database maintenance, including but not limited to daily data entry, reporting, record keeping, and account and system audits.
- Take notes and/or transcribe reports for team meetings and donor meetings where necessary
- Maintain the Advancement Team calendar and be a key contact for scheduling meetings, travel, and other logistics.
- Transcribe reports and/or notes during team and donor meetings as necessary.
- Organize confidential documents, such as tax and financial materials
- Lead set-up for donor meetings, site visits, and other fundraising events
- Work with staff to ensure that all gifts are properly recorded, deposited and acknowledged in a timely fashion.
Individual Donor Program
- Implement fundraising strategies for membership and mid-level donors with support from Advancement Manager and Director of Major Gifts
- Support the stewardship of members and mid-level donors (annual mailings, membership renewals, donor acknowledgement, member engagement)
- Plan annual membership meeting
- Support the research of prospective foundations and institutional donors
- Maintain records, organize internal documents and compile required materials for grant applications
Required Skills / Qualifications
- Experience with customer relationship management software or similar databases. Strong computer literacy skills including Microsoft Office programs and G Suite applications
- Strong communication skills and demonstrable reading comprehension, writing, editing, proofreading, and research competencies
- Candidate must work well in a team environment
Desired Skills / Qualifications
- 2+ years working in advancement data management
- Working knowledge of leading CRM products including either Salesforce or Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Experience managing or executing system-wide data integrity projects
This position has a full-time 40-hour work week and is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit; specific terms and conditions of employment may be subject to a future Collective Bargaining Agreement. We are accepting applications from people with a range of experience levels and salary requirements. Salary will be commensurate with the experience of our selected candidate (we anticipate in the range of $45,000 – $52,000 per year). Appalachian Voices is committed to equity in pay practice.
Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans, generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled. For early consideration, apply by Dec. 31, 2022. The interview process will begin in January 2023, with a target hire date of February 2023. Questions about the position are welcomed via email. No calls, please.
Please send a resume and a brief cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “[YOUR NAME] Application for Advancement Operations & Data Specialist.”