Founding Director of the New Master of Engineering in Climate and Sustainable Engineering at Duke University
In response to the accelerating climate crisis and the growing demand for engineers who can contribute to climate change mitigation and adaptation, Duke University's School of Engineering is developing an exciting new Master of Engineering in Climate and Sustainable Engineering. This innovative master's program will provide the specialized engineering skills and multidisciplinary knowledge needed to directly address the urgent global climate and sustainability challenge. Applications are being sought for the founding Executive Director to develop and lead this program. This position and the program will be within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke University (Durham, NC).
This position requires an advanced degree in engineering or a related field. The preferred candidate will have significant industry experience and expertise in sustainable engineering for climate change adaptation, climate change mitigation, renewable energy systems, or building energy systems within an academic, government or corporate setting. The position is expected to be classified as an Executive in Residence or similar faculty role.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to direct the Master of Engineering in Climate and Sustainable Engineering and teach two courses per year. Expectations are to:
* Launch and oversee a world-class interdisciplinary academic program.
* Promote and market the program to a global audience of potential candidates.
* Direct student recruiting and student admissions process.
* Develop and teach two courses, one of which would be an innovative and applied problem-based course.
* Maintain a cutting-edge curriculum through regular industry interaction.
* Support the development of co-curricular activities for students.
* Collaborate with Career Services and Professional Development to support internship and job searches.
* Collaborate across programs, institutes, departments, and schools within Duke.
* Engage with industry leaders to promote and enhance the program via seminars, real- world project opportunities, recruiting pipelines and guidance from an advisory board.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke also makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire, and promote qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.
Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae or resume, cover letter, and a list of the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contacts of three references.
Applications must be submitted electronically through this link.