Sequoia Climate Foundation is a new philanthropy that seeks to decarbonize the world economy at a speed and scale equal to the challenge. We support bold strategies and efforts that will have both a near-term impact and the greatest probability of long-term success. We believe that solving climate change requires the adoption of ambitious, evidence-based policy solutions that transform markets, advance clean technology, and lead to large-scale change.
Our focus areas include power, transportation, buildings, industry, land use, agriculture and forestry, finance, communications, movement building, and public engagement. Sequoia Climate Foundation is active in major emitting geographies, including China, the United States, India, and the European Union, among others. We are dedicated to building the political will and powerful coalitions needed to achieve these bold policy solutions.
About The Role:
We actively seek a collaborative, bold, and innovative thinker who can help us identify and evaluate ambitious climate strategies capable of driving transformative change in the world. The Program Associate, Oil & Gas, works with one or more Sequoia Program Directors to develop and execute philanthropic strategies aligned with the organizational mission and vision. You will compile the research and evidence necessary to assess the potential impact of our strategies and their chances for success and identify the organizations best positioned to execute them. Moreover, actively engage with grantees to ensure alignment with the mission and robust execution. The successful candidate will work with peer networks, government officials, thought leaders, and key stakeholders to assess emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities in the field. This role is an excellent opportunity for a passionate individual with a strong initiative toward contributing to a net-zero carbon future. This role will allow you to make a global impact while contributing to the adoption of climate mitigation policies in high-emitting countries. Sequoia Climate Foundation is a new, growing organization, making this a dynamic and fluid role.
Location: Hybrid Role (In-person 3 days per week at our Irvine, CA location and Remote 2 days per week)
What You Will Do:
- Support Sequoia's efforts to determine strategic priorities and set operational plans by conducting research and analysis on specific programs and climate sector trends.
- Monitor developments in the field to identify emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities for driving ambitious climate action.
- Engage peer networks, funders, government officials, and other stakeholders to help develop strategies and identify organizations best positioned to execute those strategies.
- Present the global and regional strategic analysis results verbally and in writing through memos, background papers, presentations, graphs, and charts both internally and externally.
- Support all aspects of strategy execution and grantmaking, including initial screening of potential grantees, analyzing background information, soliciting, developing funding proposals, and preparing grant recommendations.
- Serve as the point of contact for select grantees to learn from and steward the relationship, conduct site visits as needed, and monitor the impact of grants.
- Support the forecasting of grant payments and serve as a compliance checkpoint to ensure grantmaking stays within yearly budgets.
- Maintain grants database, budget spreadsheets, and grant calendars, and coordinate grant processes for the team.
- Assists with program and goals development, tracking, and keeping the leadership team apprised of the most critical internal deadlines and external areas of interest that impact Sequoia’s programs.
- Assist team with planning and coordinating meetings, travel, workshops, and convenings; make logistical arrangements as needed; manage consultant contracts.
- Handle simultaneous deadlines and complete assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience working in climate change or a related field.
- Strong quantitative skills preferred.
- Experience working in government, non-profit or philanthropic organizations is preferred.
What You Will Enjoy:
You will be a part of an organization that promotes positive change in the world to minimize the impacts of climate change. We provide competitive wages, health, and wellness benefits, paid vacation, holidays, and other perks to promote work/life harmony. We operate in a hybrid model, which means both workdays from home and in the office located in Irvine, California.
COVID-19 Update: Sequoia Climate Foundation requires its employees to be fully vaccinated and up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines unless they are approved for an exemption as allowed under federal and applicable state law. Unless approved for an exemption, new hires must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination at the time of hire, and offers of employment will be contingent on compliance with Sequoia Climate Foundation’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
We believe in cultivating teams with diverse backgrounds and offering equal opportunities. We strive to create a welcoming, inclusive environment where every team member feels valued, and diversity is celebrated. Sequoia is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or legally protected status.