Assistant Consultant- Road Safety & Urban Transport, Dhaka & Chattogram, Bangladesh
Who we are and what we do?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that spans more than 50 countries, with offices in the Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Turkey and the United States. Our experts and staff work closely with leaders to that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being and our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. About your role
WRI is looking for a bright & hardworking Architect/Urban Designer to join our Road Safety & Urban Transport team to be based in Dhaka/ Chattogram. The individual will assist the Lead Consultant in street design/neighborhood planning and road safety projects in Dhaka and Chattogram through provision of safe infrastructure, capacity building and community awareness programs. The program aims to brought about change through interventions like street design, intersection design, tactical urbanism, safer access to school, policy review, creating public spaces and campaigns like Equal Streets, Car Free Day etc. The current objective of the program is to bring about a paradigm change in approach i.e., from car-oriented design to people-oriented design of cities. The individual may also be required to support other areas of work within the cities program as needed. How your day will unfold:
The candidate will undertake and oversee a range of responsibilities for the Creating Safer and Inclusive Streets as are listed below.
• Undertaking site-visits for recce surveys, documentation, collecting primary and secondary data in the form of mobility patterns, volume counts, road safety inspections, crash profile, etc.
• Supporting the Lead Consultant through data analysis, design development and preparation of project proposals, reports and presentations related to projects.
• Preparation of conceptual design drawings detailed technical drawings, illustrations, and other project related content.
• Engagement with all the stakeholders at various stages and contributing to the contextual design approach. Coordinate outreach efforts on behalf of program/projects and anchor partner engagement activities. Manage relationships with stakeholders including staff from municipal corporations, development authorities, traffic police, consultants, citizen groups etc.
• Assisting in organizing and conducting community awareness campaigns, capacity building programs and workshops.
• Support research and analysis required for specific aspects of the projects and preparation of internal and external communications pieces for the initiatives. Qualifications and Requirements that we seek
• Graduate/postgraduate in the field of Urban Design/Planning/Architecture.
• 2-5 years of work experience in road safety /city design/street design and/or urban scale development project. Familiar with design of roads, intersections considering pedestrian and vehicular safety aspects etc.
• Proficiency in quantitative and qualitative data analysis is a requirement.
• Proficiency in AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign/illustrator, MS Office and 3d modelling software is a requirement. Exposure to Geographic Information System (GIS) will be an advantage.
• Inclined towards sustainability, place making and citizen engagement.
• Familiarity with specific needs of the vulnerable road users.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as part of a team.
• Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner, think creatively, work calmly and enthusiastically under high pressure.
• Good writing and communication skills.
• Basic proficiency in English along with local language be an advantage
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package
Duration: 1 year
Location: Dhaka & Chattogram, Bangladesh
List of Documents to be attached:Only Qualified applicants should apply by sending across a single PDF
Please attach the following documents:
Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
Curriculum vitae of no more than 2 A4 sized pages detailing academic and relevant professional experience with names and contact details of two referees who can attest to the capabilities of the applicant.
Design portfolio/work samples showcasing academic and professional work.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate may be required to take a writing/analytical test.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI
WRI values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here